PDA

View Full Version : What's on your burner today?

Pages : [1] 2

YouNight
12-26-2011, 07:33 PM
Just thought it'd be cool to have a thread in which we can post about what we're burning/heating, and share some thoughts on it.

I've been really loving Aluwwah's Lamb's Breath bakhoor. There's a warmth and roundness coming from the musk that just puts this over-the-top into Hall o' Fame status, for me. That dimension of this blend reminds me of my favorite part of my favorite Tibetan incense; Tibetan Medical College's "Holy Land". The rest of their respective profiles are different from one another, but that fresh, warm bread component is pure, cozy serenity for me.
I also appreciate the absence of frankincense from Lamb's Breath. As much as I love frankincense on its own, I often (but not always) find it to be overwhelming and somewhat cloying in blends. The absence of any sharp and bright top notes in Lamb's Breath allow the warmer, woodier, earthier, and animalic notes to be the centerpoint of this gem. Even the florals are humble and subtle in this symphony.

I thought that Deer's Breath Ultimate was incredibly good, as well (a little more floral than Lamb's Breath), but I think Lamb's Breath is a big improvement... if they should even be compared.

Top notch stuff.
Still available, as of right now, from Aluwwah (http://aluwwah.com/home).

AbuAyoob
12-26-2011, 09:34 PM
I haven't had the pleasure of smelling Lamb's breath and it sounds like what I have been looking for! How long is the burn when placed on charcoal?

I've been burning Eritrean frankincense and iryan jaya chips together! Younight have you ever burned e two together at the same time? The scent lasts for days in fabric!

YouNight
12-27-2011, 02:24 AM
To be honest; I haven't even bothered trying Lamb's Breath on charcoal, AbuAyoob.
I'm not quite skilled-enough to control the heat, using charcoal, as well as I can with my electric heater, and I like to begin with low heat and increase slowly, as needed.

I've never tried burning frankincense and agarwood together. I'd be concerned about the frankincense overpowering the wood. Does it not?

AbuAyoob
12-27-2011, 03:41 AM
Okay cool, one way of controlling the heat of the charcoal is to let it burn for about 10 minutes before place ashes on top and then the Bakhoor of your choice!

Not at all, frankincense will not over power the wood, there is just some about the chemistry between the two that brings about the most beautiful of scents! An incense marriage made in heaven so to speak! You should give it a try with smal pieces on charcoal.

YouNight
12-27-2011, 11:20 PM
I'll have to give the frank/oud combo a go, sometime. Thanks for the tip.

I also need to put-in more practice-time with charcoal, and 'controlling' heat. I guess the limitation that often has me opting for the electric heater is the ability to slowly increase heat as time goes by.

fumigateur
12-28-2011, 02:42 AM
I am looking for some good quality frankincense to add to my bakhoor. Does anyone have a recommendation?

YouNight
12-28-2011, 02:51 AM
I am looking for some good quality frankincense to add to my bakhoor. Does anyone have a recommendation?

I've been loving the green Omani frankincense which I got from SMK Fragrance (sales@smk-fragrance.com) last year.
Not sure if they've still got it in-stock, but worth a shot.
It's got a beautiful lime/lemon zest note that makes it refreshing and vibrant.

YouNight
12-28-2011, 03:00 AM
I've got Daihatsu's sandalwood sliced chips on my heater right now.
I hover above it, because I don't want any fumes to escape un-appreciated.
That zinging and frosty sweet note that radiates, when the warmth permeates the wood, is ridiculous. Too lovely.

AbuAyoob
12-28-2011, 04:07 AM
I've got Daihatsu's sandalwood sliced chips on my heater right now.
I hover above it, because I don't want any fumes to escape un-appreciated.
That zinging and frosty sweet note that radiates, when the warmth permeates the wood, is ridiculous. Too lovely.

Why don't you Fedx me so e of the smoke! Nothing like creamy warm sandalwood on a cold day.

AbuAyoob
12-28-2011, 04:16 AM

Aww man you can check with masstika, he has an awesome hojari that he was kind enough to let me sample and I was blown away by it! scents of the earth carry a wide variety of frankincense from around the world, but I like there Yemeni and Omani (all grades).

Where did you get the Luban that you sent me a sample of? And how did you like the white Eritrean Luban?

masstika
12-28-2011, 12:01 PM
Aww man you can check with masstika, he has an awesome hojari that he was kind enough to let me sample and I was blown away by it! scents of the earth carry a wide variety of frankincense from around the world, but I like there Yemeni and Omani (all grades).

Where did you get the Luban that you sent me a sample of? And how did you like the white Eritrean Luban?

@fumigateur: Try Enfleurage.com "Black" Frankincense. Call them if you don't see it listed. It's smell unlike other Frankincense which can be lemony or acidly milky this one has an ethereal orange blossom scent. Never sharp or over powering.
http://enfleurage.com/index.html

masstika
12-28-2011, 06:35 PM
pictures of black Frankincense from enfleurage:
http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m622/masstika1/DSC06974.jpg
and
http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m622/masstika1/DSC06973.jpg

masstika
12-28-2011, 06:46 PM
today I burned a stick of Japanese Incense stick called Kinbato made by Kyukyodo and I burned at the same time a stick of NK (Nippon Kodo) Grapefruit natural scent. The Kinbato is a medium level Aleoswood mixed in with spices like cinnamon and spiknard. It is dry with a scent of hay and powdery floral. The bitter sweet mix of the grapefruit cut in the powdery scent and provided a nice kick for the morning. pictures of Kinbato sticks:
http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m622/masstika1/Japanese%20Incense/DSC07157.jpg

It's going to be a cool evening here tonight so I am preparing t try a new Sandalwood "leafs" by Shunkohdo. Those feel different than the Daihatsu ones. These ones feel more coarse, dry and fragile to the touch where as the Daihatsu feel more waxy/polished and more malleable (bendable). I'll report later on the smell :-)

http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m622/masstika1/Japanese%20Incense/DSC07157.jpg

fumigateur
12-28-2011, 10:04 PM
I've got a small supply of amber resin, sandalwood powder and some hojari. The jinn love it.

AbuAyoob
12-29-2011, 12:18 AM
Cambodi Gold incense sticks from agarscentsbazaar are nice, burned my last stick, got a newborn in the house so my burn times is little to nothing now! Although my mother in law is always burning Eritrean frankincense, very clean and smooth burn and scent, jinn ain't hanging out here either!

Oudiferous
12-29-2011, 03:26 AM
The Cambodi Gold from agarscentsbazaar is nice, but their Double Super Hindi incense really hit the spot for me.

fumigateur
12-29-2011, 05:17 AM
I ended the evening with Nipon Kodo Kyara Kongo. Very subtle dry hints of kyara, I am very content with it at its price point. The real Japanese kyara bombs are of course insanely expensive and for the price I would prefer burning a high quality chip.

epidoc
12-29-2011, 04:52 PM
Cambodi Gold incense sticks from agarscentsbazaar are nice

The Cambodi Gold from agarscentsbazaar is nice, but their Double Super Hindi incense really hit the spot for me.

Sharif's incense line-up is really enticing. Have you guys tried his ambergris incense sticks?

AbuAyoob
12-29-2011, 07:00 PM
Sharif's incense line-up is really enticing. Have you guys tried his ambergris incense sticks?

I haven't tried the ambergris sticks, I had Kashmiri musk, sajada, Hindi, and Mysore sandalwood cones and they are all very nice! How are the ambergris sticks

epidoc
12-29-2011, 08:33 PM
I haven't tried the ambergris sticks, I had Kashmiri musk, sajada, Hindi, and Mysore sandalwood cones and they are all very nice! How are the ambergris sticks

I haven't tried it either - was hoping that you or Oudiferous might have tried it :) Well I guess I will just place my order for the ambergris sticks along with some other stuff I am really inquisitive about.

AbuAyoob
12-29-2011, 09:01 PM
I haven't tried it either - was hoping that you or Oudiferous might have tried it :) Well I guess I will just place my order for the ambergris sticks along with some other stuff I am really inquisitive about.

I almost forgot that the mitti are my favorite, they have a nice musk scent to them!

Oudiferous
12-29-2011, 09:29 PM
I haven't tried anything except for Double Super Hindi, Cambodi Gold, Lotus Musk, and Sajdah. Let us know how the ambergris is!

YouNight
12-31-2011, 05:07 PM
epidoc; I'd be interested in a report on the ambergris incense sticks if/when you try them.
If they share anything in common with the beauty of heating pure, high-quality, raw ambergris, then I wont want to be without some.
I bought some of Fred Soll's "Honey Amber" sticks, upon reading that ambergris part of the blend, but I can't smell ambergris through the sweet "amber" of them.

YouNight
12-31-2011, 05:14 PM
I heated some of Enfleurage's Oman Nagdi frankincense last night and this morning. While quite nice, I didn't pick-up on an orange blossom note, specifically. Definitely got a citrus note from it, and a light, earthy, almost copal-like undercurrent. I appreciate it for its non-overly clean and zesty profile.
Not sure if that's the same frankincense ("Black") which masstika was referring to, though.

epidoc
12-31-2011, 06:57 PM
Let us know how the ambergris is!

epidoc; I'd be interested in a report on the ambergris incense sticks if/when you try them.
If they share anything in common with the beauty of heating pure, high-quality, raw ambergris, then I wont want to be without some.
I bought some of Fred Soll's "Honey Amber" sticks, upon reading that ambergris part of the blend, but I can't smell ambergris through the sweet "amber" of them.

Ross at Olfactory Rescue Service suggested that Agarscentsbazaar's ambregris was a good scent but he couldn't get much of ambergris. I guess I will have to try some of Ross' agarwood & ambergris loose blend which sounds really enticing.

fumigateur
12-31-2011, 09:53 PM
I got no ambergris from agarscents incense. I was not particularly impressed with any of their sticks so I may not be the person to go to for judgement. I did like the tiny sample of East Indian ambergris oil that they "scent" me, reminded me of the good old days when a woman friend had a ball of ambergris in a case in her purse and would put it on like applying body oil.

AbuAyoob
12-31-2011, 10:19 PM
Tonight it's going to be home made Ethiopian coffee roasted traditionally with the clean smell of top grade Eritrean frankincense along with some Vietnamese oud chips that I got from agarscentsbazaar last year!

YouNight
12-31-2011, 11:27 PM
Nice, Abu!
I'm currently hovering above Shoyeido's Hoetsu (granulated incense), and nursing a hot cup of freshly-ground 100% Kona, topped with a healthy-sized dollop of cream that I just whipped (with organic grade B maple syrup).
Bring-on 2012!

AbuAyoob
01-01-2012, 03:28 AM
That's how one relaxes younight, what's is the scent of the granulated incense? You should groung up cardamon and ginger with the beans altogether, this is my favorite otherwise I can enjoy good coffee!

fumigateur
01-01-2012, 05:56 AM
I am staying with my ninety year old father and he told me to stop smoking up the house just before he passed out five minutes before new year....lol. I am off the resin for a few days in his honor. Late night was Byakudan Kokoh which is a delightful sandalwood but after my overzealous resin fest it really was hard to fully savor its subtlety. I also spent part of the day spraying my own mukhallat in the air and then walking through it. This is a very hard day of the year for me, my wife abandoned me when I was deathly ill on New Years eve four years ago.

YouNight
01-01-2012, 03:48 PM
what's is the scent of the granulated incense?

Well, the description is "Premium quality Kyara and spices. Exquisite!", but because I've never had the pleasure of smelling kyara, much less "Premium quality Kyara" (isn't that redundant?), I couldn't say whether the aloeswood notes are specific to Kyara.
Setting that aside, it's a very beautiful blend. As long as a pure aloeswood, or sandalwood, etc. isn't your specific craving for the moment, then it's wonderful.
I think I've got 5 of the 9 granulated blends by Shoyeido, and even the least-expensive one is enjoyable. Some are more gourmand (in spices) than others, but all are variations on a fairly-similar theme.

YouNight
01-01-2012, 04:04 PM
I am staying with my ninety year old father and he told me to stop smoking up the house just before he passed out five minutes before new year....lol. I am off the resin for a few days in his honor. Late night was Byakudan Kokoh which is a delightful sandalwood but after my overzealous resin fest it really was hard to fully savor its subtlety. I also spent part of the day spraying my own mukhallat in the air and then walking through it. This is a very hard day of the year for me, my wife abandoned me when I was deathly ill on New Years eve four years ago.

fumigateur; that's heavy stuff, man. I can imagine that it's hard to escape bad memories like that when they're tied to a day like NYE.
May 2012 be filled with beautiful aromas, wonderful people, and health, for you.

fumigateur
01-01-2012, 08:56 PM
^thank YouNight. This is the first year I have been healthy enough to really feel the pain. I am looking forward to some new bakhoor this week from oudh.co .uk ~ Duggat al Oud Ma'Al Amber as well as a 1/4 tola of Hindi Qadeem Supreme.

AbuAyoob
01-03-2012, 05:32 PM
Ethiopian Frankincense (not my favorite) with Hindi oud sticks from agarscentsbazaar and a dab of Bakhoor touch me !

AbuAyoob
01-04-2012, 03:20 PM
Adeni frankincense and iryan jaya chip :cool: with homemade chai ( cardamon ginger cloves and Persian Anisa tea leaves)!

masstika
01-04-2012, 07:08 PM
Ayoob: is the tea for drinking or are you burning it too?

AbuAyoob
01-04-2012, 08:05 PM
Ayoob: is the tea for drinking or are you burning it too?

I'm drinking the tea brotha :cool: the entire pot haha! Although I have experimented with those ingredients with less favorable results. I'm thinking I can get a better burn using an electric burner though!

AbuAyoob
01-05-2012, 07:26 PM
Omani brown resin with a piece of homemade Senegalese Tchurai incense that I got from Senegal in the summer of 2010!

fumigateur
01-07-2012, 08:44 PM
I use charcoal but just found out that the charcoal I use is not healthy or natural. I have the Japanese charcoal that crackles when you light it and read that the crackling is caused by the presence of saltpetre when they press it. I quickly ordered some all natural bamboo briquettes from scents of the earth. I find I do quite well with charcoal as long as i use ash on top of the briquette to moderate the heat. I also use ash in bottom of my ceramic bowl and always make a cone of it to support the briquette, this allows the charcoal to heat evenly. I assume this same technique will work just fine even if I am using the new charcoal.

masstika
01-07-2012, 10:30 PM
As I have always been on a search for an Indian Oud Incense stick that will do justice to the Genre in a similar fashion to what Japanese Incense does to Aloeswood. However, throughout my previous experiences I found out that the Indian Incense sticks never feature the wood (Oud) itself. It is always mixed with so many other ingredients that it becomes impossible to pick. Recently I bought from Essence of the ages The Oudh and Asli Bakhoor sticks that are featured this month and today I burned a bit of both. The Oudh is a hand rolled Indian Natural by N. Ranga Rao and Sons Export about 8" long, yellow color and medium size. The smell is a combination of sweet spices and fragrances in a similar fashion to Amulya Attar. a smell burn is enough for a room sized 15'x12' and has a lasting effects. Though the scent could be overpowering it does not seem to have any cloying pr synthetic that burns the eyes or throat. There is a bit of acidity as if from sandalwood that could be detected in the after burn.
Next came Asli Bakhoor, a medium size light green color stick. This one is less sweet with notes of Halmadi, lotus flower oil and vertiver. It's a clean smell as if one has taken a shower and less of a Bakhoor smell in the classical Arabic sense. This is a big smell for big rooms. I found it better to put it in a closed room for 5 minutes and then put it out and let the room air for another 5 minutes. The after smell is much more agreeable than while the stick is burning. The notes become more separated and less overpowering.

masstika
01-08-2012, 12:30 PM
Starting the day with a stick of Oud Masal Agarbattie made by Small happy eagle Enterprises.

epidoc
01-08-2012, 01:05 PM
Starting the day with a stick of Oud Masal Agarbattie made by Small happy eagle Enterprises.

Masstika, how do you like the Oud masala sticks? Have you tried their other incense sticks (Meena supreme & Nag champa)?

YouNight
01-08-2012, 03:24 PM
I love those Meena Supreme sticks (but I'm a fan of Indian incense).
I especially love the smell it leaves in the room/home after it's burned-out.

masstika
01-08-2012, 05:57 PM
@epidoc: it is an interesting mix. I think they have Halmadi mixed in with Agarwood which I didn't expect. It smells a lot like regular Nag Champa that I have tried before but their Nag Champ is a Bulldozer of smells. definitely windows open when you light it :-) There is very little Oud smell in the Oud Masala sticks. But it's beautiful, sweet mix that will make any Hindi stick fan happy. I am wondering though why there isn't an Indian Outfit that would make from cultivated Assam Oud a nice Incense stick out of it, no Oils, no additives, Just Bark and resin, something in a similar fashion and even better than say Sacred Mountain is doing with Vietnamese Crassana?

This afternoon I lit some Eritrean White Frankincense, Thanks Abu Ayoob...beautiful sharp and clean Camphoric notes and I mixed a bit of Ross's sandalwood with Ambergris, a spicy mix made brilliant and vibrant by the Ambergris mixed in it.

AbuAyoob
01-09-2012, 01:12 AM
This afternoon I lit some Eritrean White Frankincense, Thanks Abu Ayoob...beautiful sharp and clean Camphoric notes and I mixed a bit of Ross's sandalwood with Ambergris, a spicy mix made brilliant and vibrant by the Ambergris mixed in it.

you're welcome my Dear brother Masstika.

masstika
01-09-2012, 05:43 PM
AbuAyoob, are you familiar with the "CUUNSI" Bakhoor being sold by Agarscent Bazzar? And being from Eritrea were it presumably comes from what can you tell us about it (smell, ingredients...etc.)?

YouNight
01-09-2012, 05:44 PM
Today I'm shooting for sheer decadence; Oud Mostafa is on my wrists, and pure, raw white ambergris is on my heater.
Ridiculous.

AbuAyoob
01-09-2012, 08:07 PM
AbuAyoob, are you familiar with the "CUUNSI" Bakhoor being sold by Agarscent Bazzar? And being from Eritrea were it presumably comes from what can you tell us about it (smell, ingredients...etc.)?

Sure CUUNSI or 'UNSI is traditionally a Somalian bakhoor,but my mother in law said that they do use it in Eritrea. It is used traditionally used around the horn of Africa for purposes of Ruqqiya (exorcism) and as a perfume for scenting ones clothing it also is used as a wedding bakhoor, but this has unfortunately given way to bakhoor touch me by nabeel here in Eritrean/Somali communties here in the west!
'Unsi is one of my favorite bakhoors because of its spiciness and calming properties. As far as smell think Somalian chai with it's gingery, nutmeg, cardamon, cloves and cinamon with frankincense flavors! you get all of these scents in a traditional 'Unsi that is absolutely spectacular! Masstika I haven't tried the CUUNSI/'Unsi from agarscentsbazaar, but i'm sure that it will be awsome as Sharif and Omar are very skilled when it comes to bakhoor! My mother in law doesn't like it that much she says "because it is not consistent and it depends on who makes it, sometimes it smells burned and other times spicy and then there are some who make it sweet and spicy this one I like"

also check Aluwwah for Unsi as well, i think both would be worth trying Insha Allah!

masstika
01-09-2012, 08:41 PM
Thank you Abu. I placed an order with them and I'll let you all know my observations on it. Who is this Nabel you mentioned that he makes bakhoor touch me? is he an Attar?

AbuAyoob
01-09-2012, 08:56 PM
Thank you Abu. I placed an order with them and I'll let you all know my observations on it. Who is this Nabel you mentioned that he makes bakhoor touch me? is he an Attar?

Nabeel is another one of the Gulf big houses for perfumes and bakhoor! Bakhoor Touch Me is probably one of the most popular bakhoors on the market!

http://oudd.zahras.com/

YouNight
01-12-2012, 05:51 PM
Burning a stick of Minorien's Fu-In aloeswood, and wearing a swipe of AgarAura's Borneo Jewel.
Borneo Jewel is my favorite Borneo oud that I've smelled. I wish I'd bought a bottle of it when I had the chance. I love it because it captures a note (that's either too good for words, or elusive against my own vocabulary limitations) that's at the heart of this incense. I have to wait for about an hour after application of the oud before that note is unlocked, but it's like a treasure, every time. The incense has that same note in it.
...it's a simultaneous mustiness and sweetness, but it's more complex and simple than that. Hard to describe, but I sure love it.

AbuAyoob
01-13-2012, 06:14 PM
Today will be iryan jaya chips from miskshoppe and Adeni frankincense from scents of the earth along with sandalwood cone from agarscentsbazaar! And a cup of home made chai

YouNight
01-14-2012, 06:07 PM
Sounds nice, Abu.
Today, I've got Oud Khidr on my wrists (a MIGHTY Indian. Classic and intense!), and Aluwwah's Lamb's Breath on my heater.

...and this on my stereo system:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1CF6SFO4Uw

Oudiferous
01-14-2012, 06:20 PM
You are making me feel envious, YouNight! I have yet to try Khidr. Sounds great. Just ordered some Lamb's Breath...

YouNight
01-14-2012, 06:48 PM
Good onya for grabbing some Lam's Breath, Oudiferous! That's some lovely, lovely stuff.

Ahhh... Khidr. What a deeply wonderful oil that is. No notes that are particularly surprising, uncharacteristic or stand-out, per-se, and you've got to be up for a good bit of "barnyard"... but those are all attributes, for my liking. I do think that it's intensity sets it apart, though. When I'm in the mood for an oud with a classic Indian profile, Khidr has become my Gold Standard.

Oudiferous
01-14-2012, 07:51 PM
I do think that it's intensity sets it apart, though. When I'm in the mood for an oud with a classic Indian profile, Khidr has become my Gold Standard.

Even moreso than Mostafa?

YouNight
01-14-2012, 09:07 PM
Even moreso than Mostafa?

To me, Mostafa's fruity component disqualifies it as being 'classically' Indian (it's also part of what makes Mostafa a big-time favorite of mine). Mostafa's got a definite Hindi base underneath the dark fruit, whereas Khidr Doesn't have anything surprising or uncharacteristic (like Nuh's etherial, almost Borneo-like top, or Mostafa's Cambodian/Thai/Laotian-esque fruit) hovering above its Indian glory. To me, Khidr is pure, naked and unapologetically 'Indian', which is what, in addition to its might, endears me to it.
I find Khidr to be beautiful. Not 'pretty', but beautiful.

masstika
01-15-2012, 12:01 PM
It's interesting YouNight that descriptions you've give Khidr Oud, a friend of mine and I have given them to Mostafa. We agreed that Mostafa was the most unabashedly Classical Indian Oud oil that does not seek an excuse for it being what it wants to be and worries to the wind if you don't like it attitude :-) Khidr on the other hand and as asserted by you does not surprise with the big drums and the fire crackers but it grows on the person as one wears it like a presence or a shadow. it's too bad that it is the least talked about of Ensar's Ouds that I feel it's like a black horse running stealthy and steady.

Starting the day with 1/2 a stick of Tibetan Highland Monastery; Dry and Medicinal and a little bit of sweet Nag Champa. Sunny and cool day outside by our standards 62 F. Degrees.

YouNight
01-15-2012, 02:54 PM
I love it, masstika; that we oud fanatics can have differing takes on given ouds... but I think we're not far-off from each-other on our assessments of Mostafa and Khidr.
I'm in 100% agreement that Mostafa carries an air of unapologetic certainty about it. To me; its sheer intensity (which I love) is what gives it that vibe. There's very little that's subtle or quiet about its profile. It's just that its fruity component harkens to the characteristic profile of ouds from other regions, and in my own goofy little (but personal) way of declaring what "classic Indian" means to me; That type, and amount, of fruit doesn't feel "classic", for an Indian, to me.
So, I guess, to my nose, I guess I'd say that Mostafa is unapologetic about carrying non-classically Indian components within its profile. ;-)
That said, if I was forced to choose one "Desert Island Oud", not only between Mostafa and Khidr, but between all ouds that I've tried; Mostafa would be my pick, without hesitation. In that sense, Mostafa is, for me, an undoubted future classic!

I'm in agreement that Khidr is the big-time sleeper among Ensar's current selection. I think many people would find the intensely 'Hindi' quality a bit much, but for those who love a great, great purely Indian oud; it's hard to imagine a better specimen.

Ah, Highland! I prefer to warm the powder (or crush the sticks into powder and warm it), rather than ignite the sticks, but that's a fantastic Tibetan incense, either way. One of my favorites.

Oudiferous
01-16-2012, 01:21 AM
Oh my...Oud Khidr is going to have to be next on my list. I crave that classically pure Indian Oud. Mostafa is an unapologetic Oud for sure, but I agree with YouNight. It does have "non-Indian" notes. Part of what I really enjoy about the Indian Ouds I have right now (Nuh, Mostafa, and Shuyukh #2) is their "departure" from the "classic" Indian profile. They are classically Indian at heart, and yet, there is so much more happening in the scent that it is stunningly beautiful.

Can't wait to try Khidr.

fumigateur
01-16-2012, 02:32 AM
I burned a stick of Nippon Kodo Kyara Kongo, not premium kyara but still a lovely scent with excellent sandalwood in the blend, and finished off with just a touch of hojary from scents of the earth.

AbuAyoob
01-16-2012, 02:08 PM
Nothing like the Greek Monastery Rose incense from scents of the earth after a hard workout!

masstika
01-16-2012, 10:34 PM
I have burned a little sample of Agarscent Bazaar Omani Bakhoor "Noor". To smell it from the bag it smells Fresh, almost like Irish Spring Soap :) but once the mixture (yellow powder with straw like pieces) hit the charcoal it's a different story, first comes the Ambergris smell followed by dry herbal smell. It is the smell of the foam cresting on waves of sweet and yet dry notes. This is a bakhoor to light up in the morning and open all the windows. It will set a certain mood, not totally happy and not melancholic or sad either but somewhere in between. The powder mix congeals together and harden once it's all burned and finished. Cunusi Bakhoor on the other hand looked like and had the same consistency as Ajwa Dates (Palm dates mushed together). On Charcoal it is very Perfum-y and spicy. Hits the back of the nose a little bit but leaves a very clean smell, like having been in a refreshing shower. But the spiciness adds a strange tone to it and to a certain degree takes over the clean smell. It reminds me a lot of Abu Bakr's Bakhoor Daad. It burns slow vs. Noor which burns pretty fast, so a little bit goes a long way.
Finally, based on other's view's discussed here and elsewhere, I got and I burned couple of sticks of the Double Super Hindi Incense stick from Agarscent Bazaar. I will have to respectfully disagree with you guys on this one. This can not be a substitute to burning a good Hindi Oud chip. There is probably a bit of Oud in here because I am told by Omar that it is made from Oud Paste with no dipping in oils) but OUD is NOT what is featured here. As in many other Hindi Oud sticks the paste contains other ingredients, floral and herbal. It is a nice albeit perfume-y wet scent that Hindi Incense Fans would enjoy. It burns clean with no off after notes. It has a muskiness with enough fecal/animalic notes all wrapped up in soft Amber. Nice, but not Oud-y by any mean. Sorry guys but I think I am throwing the towel in my search for a true Hindi Incense stick that truely features Oud (Barck and resin) and nothing else :(

YouNight
01-16-2012, 11:08 PM
...Sorry guys but I think I am throwing the towel in my search for a true Hindi Incense stick that truely features Oud (Barck and resin) and nothing else :(

A year or two ago, I bought some "agarwood" incense sticks by Ramakrishnananda. Not even the remotest hint of agarwood in the aroma. Perfumey and synthetic smelling. I like many Indian stick incenses, but for proper aloeswood sticks (though not Indian in origin), I'll be content with the Japanese stuff.

Oudiferous
01-17-2012, 06:10 PM
Burning some of Scented Mountain's "Highest Quality" agarwood incense sticks. They are really nice! A beautifully intoxicating smell. The stick burns very slowly, just a little bit is needed to permeate the room with the incredible fragrance of burning Oud wood. Highly recommended!

Interesting to hear your impressions of Agarscents' Hindi incense, Masstika. I am not nearly as experienced as you in the world of burning Oud wood and Oud incense, so I would have to say that you must be right!

epidoc
01-17-2012, 07:57 PM
Burning some of Scented Mountain's "Highest Quality" agarwood incense sticks. They are really nice! A beautifully intoxicating smell. The stick burns very slowly, just a little bit is needed to permeate the room with the incredible fragrance of burning Oud wood. Highly recommended!

+1. I really like the SM sticks. At times when I crave a straight-up agarwood smell this is what I reach for (rather than a kyara blend).

Oudiferous
01-17-2012, 08:15 PM
Their much cheaper 12" sticks are also quite nice. They burn a bit smokier and are obviously lower quality in comparison with the rich and deep aroma of their highest quality sticks. But quite a value!

masstika
01-24-2012, 11:29 PM
Yesterday and today I had a chance to burn Ensar Oud's 80 year and 100 year old Oud chips. I am assuming but I am not sure that it is Thai wood from the border region with Cambodia. I broke off small pieces and burned them which could have had an effect on the outcome of the smell, more on that later. I burned them on the electrical burner and on charcoal directly and over a mica plate. I used both Shoyeido's Ceremonial and square Charcoal and In general the smell was nicest on the electrical albeit not very complete in representing the whole scent profile, followed by the mica plate which provided further depth and lastly directly over the charcoal after it had formed a layer of white ash over the surface. The last method produce the most smoke but concealed the intricacy of the scent. Starting with the 100 year old small piece of chips 61 here they are in a different light 62 very dry and brittle to the touch. Over the mica place a beautiful dark notes of sweet and roasted chestnuts. There is no smoke discernible coming out but you can see little bubbling locally occurring here and there on the chip. The smell has a Cambodian scent profile but it is like a good old Thaqeel in the sense that it is ethereal; it is not to scent large rooms unless it's put directly on the Charcoal and then the smell is to me very woody, fragrant wood that is :) and that is where the size of the chip matters because if I would burn a larger piece uncut it will stand better to the charcoal. All in all a pleasant and very understated Oud scent that I will revisit.
The 80 year old Oud chips' on the other hand 63 is sweet yet dry, hay like scent. The chips produce a good level of smoke making it appropriate for larger room scenting. The scent profile shares a lot with KOKONOE NO KUMO which is Indonesian aloeswood. It has the ability to transform the mood to a somber, sober state of mind. I felt as if I am staring down the plain Horizon of an high desert plateau in the cold winter day. Someone passing outside on the stairs where I live commented to their companion that it smelled "Old" :) I wouldn't recommend burning it on charcoal (or at least not a small piece) for it produces a lot of heavy wood burning smell. A little bit goes a long way.

Oudiferous
01-25-2012, 01:39 AM
Thanks for sharing your impressions, Masstika. I just burned a little bit of Minorien's Fu-In Kyara for the first time. Absolutely fantastic! And I just lit a stick of their Fu-In Aloeswood too. Quite beautiful. These are definitely superior to Scented Mountain's highest quality, in my opinion. At least, they seem to be made better. The scent profile of the Kyara is very deep and rich, sweet and full-bodied. The Aloeswood is lighter, but has that characteristic burning sweetness too, and is by no means a simple fragrance. Both are rather complex. Before the words come to describe it, one simply breathes again and is lost in that familiar and yet ever-new world of agarwood fragrance.

YouNight
01-25-2012, 01:54 AM
I've yet to try Minorien's Fu-In Kyara sticks, but the Aloeswood ones are pretty-much my favorite 'daily' burn (even though I don't actually burn one per day).
Do you note musty-sweetness in its profile, which is, to me, similar to a prominent note in the dry-down of some Malaysian ouds? I love that combo of notes.

masstika
01-25-2012, 09:20 PM
Are you guys talking about FU-IN® Kyara Ryugen mini sticks? They are beautiful and I have to say very close to Green Kyara smell albeit a bit spicier and more wet. Minorian is famous for their "wet" scent. I am burning a little bit now. :)

YouNight
01-25-2012, 10:27 PM
masstika; I've been refering to Minorien's Fu-In Aloeswood (not Kyara, and not Kyara Ryugen) sticks which measure 5.5" and come in a package that looks like this:

http://www.essenceoftheages.com/minorien/minaloe.jpg

I think the half-size sticks are only available in the Kyara Ryugen sticks, though I could be mistaken.

I've yet to splurge on the Kyara Ryugen, but they're most-definitely on my wish list.

Oudiferous
01-26-2012, 03:48 AM
Masstika, I was speaking of their Fu-In Kyara sticks, not the Ryugen, although I want to try those as well.

epidoc
01-26-2012, 09:35 PM
I think the half-size sticks are only available in the Kyara Ryugen sticks, though I could be mistaken.

I've yet to splurge on the Kyara Ryugen, but they're most-definitely on my wish list.

+1. Kyara Ryugen sticks are available in both regular (5.5") and half size. I usually save the Ryugen sticks for special occasions but find that the Minorein aloeswood sticks are also pretty high quality. Have you guys tried kyara blends from other Japanese incense manufacturers? I have had my eyes on Seijudo's Kyara Enju for sometime now but haven't been able to convince my wallet as yet.

masstika
01-26-2012, 11:43 PM
epidoc, maybe you can start with the mini package. It's more affordable. I have tried Kyara Aioi no Matsu by Shunkohdo which is another excellent take on Kyara, wet and with the right amount of spices, cinnamon and Cardamon. I have also tried Fu-in Granulated Incense - Kyara Blend (to my nose it has a lot of vertiver in it) and once in a while a burn a little bit of all 15 of Shoyeido Premium line from the sampler which is all Kyara mixed in with the same melange of spices each to a varying degree. Shoyeido does an excellent job with them. But if you want an excellent and economical everyday go to then I highly recommend Denop Aloeswod Blend from KyuKyodo. It's a thin green sticks that really packs a lot of fine scent for the Buck so to speak:)

YouNight
01-27-2012, 12:12 AM
I enjoy Shoyeido's Hoetsu granulated blend. Its ingredients are listed as "premium quality Kyara and other spices". Some of the more gourmand spice notes, as well as what smells like sandalwood notes are in there, as well.
Here's a photo I took of (the packaging of) mine:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y298/emmett9/Shoyeido_Hoetsu.jpg

epidoc
01-27-2012, 03:27 PM
But if you want an excellent and economical everyday go to then I highly recommend Denop Aloeswod Blend from KyuKyodo. It's a thin green sticks that really packs a lot of fine scent for the Buck so to speak:)

I enjoy Shoyeido's Hoetsu granulated blend. Its ingredients are listed as "premium quality Kyara and other spices". Some of the more gourmand spice notes, as well as what smells like sandalwood notes are in there, as well.

Thanks for the recommendations.

fumigateur
01-28-2012, 03:25 AM
I have been burning some BAKHOOR AL RAHMA by Swiss Arabian. It is very powerful and perhaps a little too thick and cloying but the notes of rose and amber are very clean. I would like a similar scent with a bit more subtlety, this one fumigates with a hammer.

masstika
01-28-2012, 08:19 PM
Fumigator if you like Roses you should look into Kyukyodod Mizuho (Rose). It is the cleanest and the closest smell of roses that I have tried from all The Japanese Houses. this is not to scent rooms but for personal enjoyment. I am afraid that most Bakhoor sold by the large Arabian Houses all contain Synthetics. I believe a month ago Mike from Olfactory Rescue Services were selling them at a great deal. Younight, don't you love the Packaging of the Japanese products. beautiful Form and substances...Great :)

Taha
01-28-2012, 11:24 PM
Sounds lovely, YouNight!
I'm curious - can you make out the Kyara granules in the mix?

Tomorrow I'm going to have AbuBakr (of Aluwwah.com) over at my place, and I plan to burn quite a few different woods. Wood from the good ol' days, dating back to the 90's or even earlier.
This guy (who I consider as having one of the best noses in North America, when it comes to agarwood wood) was kind enough to send me various Burmese, Vietnamese and other woods from his private collection.

fumigateur
01-28-2012, 11:56 PM
^Masstika....thanks for the advice. I must admit that my burning tastes are not equal to my oil tastes where purity is essential in both what I wear and what I make for others. I am well aware of the muddle that the big houses are putting out in all their products and I am not sophisticated enough to spend time meditating over my burner (I do practice medical qigong which involves significant time for meditation). I enjoy the larger scale smell I am getting with bakhoor, it brings light into my home and my senses. I live with my ninety year old father and there is often a great degree of pain for the child when they become the parent and the bakhoor does lift my spirits towards the sky.

YouNight
01-28-2012, 11:59 PM
masstika; absolutely! The Japanese definitely have a flair for ornate and/or classy packaging. Often, even when it's simple, it's done with a certain style and taste that I love. Adds to the overall experience, whether it's incense, records, stationary, etc.

Taha; I wish I could say! I'm not sure if you were asking if I could smell or see the Kyara granules, but I guess my answer would be the same- I, unfortunately, don't yet have experience with pure Kyara, on its own.
Man, your hang with AbuBakr sounds like it's going to be a fantastic session of aromatic indulgence. Have a great time!

fumigateur
01-29-2012, 12:10 AM
Regarding the Japanese, here is a great video in Japanese, about the kodo ceremony of incense appreciation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9U3IjrQbbQ&feature=endscreen&NR=1

AbuAyoob
01-29-2012, 12:24 AM
Tomorrow I'm going to have AbuBakr (of Aluwwah.com) over at my place, and I plan to burn quite a few different woods. Wood from the good ol' days, dating back to the 90's or even earlier.
This guy (who I consider as having one of the best noses in North America, when it comes to agarwood wood) was kind enough to send me various Burmese, Vietnamese and other woods from his private collection.

You brothers enjoy and remember us in your dua while you are at it! Permeate the air with that original funk ya ikhwati!

taleb
01-29-2012, 02:28 AM
Yaakhi fumigateur thanks for the video (japanese incence appreciation)

fumigateur
01-29-2012, 02:54 AM
Afwan Taleb...The Japanese incense ceremony - Kodo - was an important art for Japanese women in earlier times alongside the tea ceremony and flower arrangement. Nowadays men also practice the kodo, which consists of smelling six different woods that are placed on a mica plate over a burner. The wood does not even burn, it just heats up and releases the resinous scents and the kodo practicioner also listens to the sound of the wood as it expands over the heat.

I know that Baieido has classes teaching the ceremony in Japan and I have spoken to the folks at the Nippon Kodo store in New York about bringing a kodo guru there to offer lessons sometime. Whenever I'm in the neighborhood I pop in and ask them if the kodo mistress is on her way. I think that this year they will grow so tired of me that they will bring the classes to their store.

AbuAyoob
01-29-2012, 03:38 AM
I am burning khao yai chips now. This has to be the softest, smoothest, sweetest Oud chips I have ever smelled in my short career as an Oud adept and burner! not hard on the nose or lungs. Very light but powerful, I feel like I am sitting in a garden right now with florals and woods all around and the breeze brings with it a sweetness undescribed!

masstika
01-29-2012, 11:58 AM
I have been trying to practice making a good Kodo cup but it is very difficult. Especially if you don't have a tutor and just looking at Video clips on youTube. For example, I can't figure out how deep to bury the charcoal, how compact to bat the ashes down and then the stillness of the mind and hand to make those incision in the ashes :) but when it works (...rarely) it's wonderful. Little additional detail about the game is that there are similar woods in those 6 selections and the aim is to guess which 2 match and pair together. Each mica plate is marked as a stroke on a sheet of paper and then you connect with a line between the strokes that you think are the same wood. Fumigateur, let me know if NK manages to get a Kodo Guru to come to NY. I might come up.

Separately, when you guys see a chip like these, do you think it is really resinated like that or is it adulterated and "treated". This is Indonesian Oud.

Oudiferous
01-31-2012, 03:45 PM
Borneo Symphony on my wrists and Fu-In Aloeswood in my incense bowl. Wow! The two are nearly perfect complements.

Oudiferous
02-01-2012, 07:26 PM
I have to say that I really prefer Scented Mountain's "Highest Quality" sticks over Minorien's Fu-In Aloeswood. The fragrance is much deeper and more robust, and it lasts a long time. It satisfies my craving every time.

Masstika, I have no idea what to tell you about that piece of wood. Someone like Ensar, who spends a lot of time looking at wood and judging its quality, would probably be able to give you a good answer.

masstika
02-03-2012, 05:10 PM
As I was burning some 80 year old Oud chips that I've gotten recently from Ensar Oud I was admiring the pieces of oud themselves when I came across this piece
66 I was puzzled about the hole. It looked like the holes made by a modern day drills as we've all seen done in Oud inoculation and how unlikely that would be with a piece of Oud supposedly this Old. So I did what any inquisitive mind would do so I've asked Ensar. He was kind enough to promptly reply and with his permission I am passing on his answer for our education

" if there were no holes, there would be no resin of agarwood. Which
is why artificial inoculation amounts to that -- making holes in the trunk.
It is an artificial imitation of a natural process. Wild wood is FULL of
holes, as is evidenced by the 100 year-old tree, where we have little
snippets of resin all in the shape of a hole. The only difference between
artificial and natural, is that the natural holes are almost never
straight, but they curve upward or sideways in the direction the insect or
critter felt like boring into the trunk.

I was chopping up some Borneo pieces recently, and found many dead worms
and insects inside, encased in hole-like crevices that they'd made inside
the wood. This is what triggers the resin, and without it there would be no
agarwood."

You see I never knew that. I had thought that the tree gets infected internally through the root system or through the air. And if through insects then the holes would be minuscule. I would have dismissed Oud that claimed to be wild if I have seen holes like these. I guess I need to reconsider :)

masstika
02-05-2012, 11:58 AM
A fun combination of NK (Pure series) Grapefruit incense stick and Scented mountain Aloeswood stick. The combination of deep tone notes of the Agarwood mixing with the sweet sourness scent of the Grapefruit works very well in the morning to clear the air. Only draw back is the NK sticks burn much faster than the Scent Mountain ones, so the last 10 min. It's only Aloeswood smell. I had read that the reason the Incense sticks go off on their own is due to unbalance in the mixture of the stick between the base powder and other ingredients with high burn temperatures.

AbuAyoob
02-05-2012, 01:17 PM
that sounds like a nice combination sidi masstika, what incense do you suggest for an everyday burn as far as Japanese incense, I love to combine scents and think that it will be interesting?

YouNight
02-05-2012, 03:33 PM
masstika; 'layering' incenses is fun to experiment with. I like to layer some oils when I wear them, too.
Can't say I've ever smelled grapefruit incense, but it sounds interesting, both on its own and 'layered' with aloeswood.

AbuAyoob
02-05-2012, 05:00 PM
Younight, what are some cool combinations have you experimented with?

Ahmir
02-06-2012, 01:17 AM
Is Japanese incense made from pure ingredients or some synthetic as well.

Can anyone recommend me some pure good value for money Japanese incense please.
I would like it to be very Oudy as a base.

YouNight
02-06-2012, 03:01 AM
Younight, what are some cool combinations have you experimented with?

I must admit, that I've not tried anything too 'out-there'. Also, because I only have one heater, it's usually a combination of something on the heater, and a stick of something burning in the background.
I've done blends of things (all heated in the same dish, at the same time), but that's more parallel to a mukhallat than it is layering multiple oils on the skin, on-the-fly.
With 'layering' of incense, I sort-of think of it as similar to the recordings that've been made with multiple musicians, but using only one microphone, when the musicians are recorded 'live' (i.e. playing together, in the same room)... the challenge is to position the different instruments/vocals at different distances from the microphone to get a balanced mix. Guitars will be louder than vocals, but not as loud as drums, etc.
Because the smoky component of the ignited stick is almost always something I want in the background, my heater is usually (much) closer to me than the burning incense is.
I also don't bother 'layering' with sticks that are inherently complex with many different ingredients. Keeping each individual 'voice' simple (or as purely one-scent as possible) is what interests me.

Anyway. I've enjoyed hovering directly above some pure, white ambergris on my heater, with an aloeswood stick burning in the background.
Also; hovering above sandalwood on the heater and a stick of lavender incense (which I bought in Japan) in the background.
Crushed green Omani frankincense on the heater (5 or 6 feet away from me) with a stick of Kunmeido's Hosen (florals) burning in the background.
Palo Santo chips on the heater (a few feet away), and a stick of... actually, I don't even know what the incense is; he label contains only kanji (which I can't read), but it's floral.
...and a few others.

I'd been thinking what I'd like to layer with heating agarwood chips, and it came to me last week. I pass under a cherry tree while I walk through my neighborhood. The last couple of weeks, its blossoms (in full bloom!) have been putting-out an aroma that's got me smitten! I can imagine it being a fantastic mate with agarwood. Not sure if I can find an incense that actually captures that beautiful essence of sakura, but it's worth a try!
Here's the tree that I pass under:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y298/emmett9/Sakura_02-02-12.jpg

Having said all of that... at the moment, I have a crushed stick of Tibetan Medical College's "Holy Land" on my heater. Plenty complex (and wonderful) on its own. No layering with this one!

AbuAyoob
02-06-2012, 02:09 PM
The heater and stick sounds like a good way of allowing the incense to give off there true nature without one over powering the other. I burned some of agarscentsbazaar sandalwood cone and Hindi turabi sticks together and found that they somewhat complemented one another, just too much smoke. I have yet to try any Tibetan or Japanese incense, but plan on doing so soon.

Oudiferous
02-06-2012, 08:00 PM
Are Tibetan sticks natural?

YouNight
02-06-2012, 08:47 PM
Are Tibetan sticks natural?

There's a MASSIVE selection of incense from Tibet. I've tried tons, and probably haven't even scratched the surface.
Quality varies widely, so asking if Tibetan sticks are natural is probably like asking if oud is natural.
I'll say this; the good stuff smells (to me) completely devoid of synthetics.

AbuAyoob
02-07-2012, 12:14 AM
What are your recommendations for tibetan incense and what are some trustable sites to order them from.

masstika
02-07-2012, 12:22 AM
YouNight: What a beautiful Cherry Blossom tree! I think it is going to be difficult finding a good stick that can replicate the smell of Cherry Blossom. Most of the ones I smelled were cloying and smelled like synthetic scents. Japanese Incense companies do use synthetics but at least theyt ell you and they also tell you when it's all natural. All of the Premium Incense sticks are naturals and some are not even dipped in Oils. There are very few Indian Houses that Make all natural Incense such as Dhuni. I would have thought that on the other hand Tibetan would be more natural since most of them are blended according to Medicinal formulas. BTW YouNight, you can buy the Holy Land Powder and you don't have to crush the stick :) Like you I only mix single note Incense sticks like the Pure series from NK with Aloeswood based sticks. Ahmir, For every other day Incense burn I would whole heartily recommend White Chrysanthemm (Shiragiku Aleoswood). It is a great quality product for the Money but you can decide for yourself by figuering out first what kind of Aloeswood scent you like; spicy, sweet, green...etc. then try some within your desired prize range see http://olfactoryrescueservice.wordpress.com/?s=Shin+Tokusen+Reiryo+Koh
Has anyone tried any incense from Lisn in Japan? http://www2.lisn.co.jp/

YouNight
02-07-2012, 01:06 AM
masstika! first of all, how strange is this; in my post about layering, I mentioned a stick of incense that I burn while heating Palo Santo chips, but couldn't recall what it was, because the label is only in kanji... they're the Seijudo Shiragiku (White Chrysanthemum) sticks!!
Wow. What are the chances that you'd mention those? As soon as you wrote White Chrysanthemum, I knew they were the ones.

I totally agree that finding a high quality cherry blossom stick is going to be nearly impossible. I really wish that weren't the case.

Where can TMC Holy Land powder be found? I'd love to try some. As long as it smells (exactly) like the crushed sticks do, I'll be very happy.

AbuAyoob; My personal favorite Tibetan incense is Tibetan Medical College's "Holy Land".
I also really love Samye Monastery's powder. It's more gourmand, in its spices, than Holy Land, but beautiful and unique (though still clearly "Tibetan"). I bought some Samye sticks last year, and they're not as nice as the powder (which I bought in 2010). Not sure if they've changed their ingredients, like I've heard Highland did. I have some Highland power from a couple years ago. It's wonderful, but I can't recommend that you pick any up, because people are reporting that the new stock is a mere shadow of what the older stuff was.
Essence of the Ages has a good selection of Tibetan incence: http://www.essenceoftheages.com/

AbuAyoob
02-07-2012, 02:17 AM
YouNight thanks for the info I am extremely interested in the holy land incense. I have a sai baba florals sticks that burn for about two hours and leave a pleasant after scent for days. The pack is red with gold writing on it, got it for 3 bucks. Essenceoftheages have a wide selection of goodies.

fumigateur
02-07-2012, 02:19 AM
For daily burning I use NK Kyara Kongo and for special occasions I burn Sujeido Daily Moon.

YouNight
02-07-2012, 02:25 AM
AbuAyoob; excellent. Be sure to report back after you've tried the Holy Land. Make sure (if you buy sticks and not the powder) to also crush them and heat the powder. There's a warm, fresh bready note in it that I love and can't get enough of. I smell it infinitely more when the smoke isn't there to obscure it.

And because I'm a geek, here's a photo that I snapped of my Holy Land glory:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y298/emmett9/TMC_Holy-Land.jpg

AbuAyoob
02-07-2012, 03:53 AM
Can't wait to try them!!! Now I know what pack to look for.

masstika
02-09-2012, 12:33 AM
YouNight: The Holy Land and Samye Monastery Incense powder that I have gotten them as present from a friend. I will ask them where they got it from. Tonight another interesting Mix: Scented mountain paired with NK Kayuragi Pomegranate Incense stick. The smell is very fruity and candy like. More of an approximation to the smell of Pomegranate. It is more of a light weight type of scent, not to be taken too seriously. Pretty sure it has synthetics but it is not bothersome or cloying. There is very little smoke comes out of it and when you put it side by side the scented Mountains stick looks like a 19 entury train chimmeny in comparison :) 67
Another light, floral scent I tried but less successfully is also NK Pink Plum Flower Incense - Yume-No-Yume. 68 I say less successfully because it is quiet fragile and light that it gets bulldozed by the crudeness of the scented mountain. On it's own it is beautifully modern, white colored scent. It's very Japanese in how light and ethereal it is. It's compact but has a lot of scent in it without too much smoke. It's not for scenting rooms but rather for personal enjoyment. Those are light incense stick not to be tken too seriously and probably won't be liked by Aloeswood Aficionado.

Thomas
02-09-2012, 01:53 PM
I'm back-tracking a bit, just to clarify something masstika brought up earlier. I've attached some pictures of wild Tripura chips we got from Simon at aluwwah, to demonstrate the holes found in all trees, wild or cultivated, and how the resin is often most concentrated around the holed areas.

masstika
02-10-2012, 01:19 AM
Thank you Thomas for helping me to visually be able to identify Oud properly. Can you help us by giving a little summery about other visual clues on how to identify good Oud, since a lot of us buy our oud On-line without the benefit of being able to sample smell prior to purchasing. Many people talk about all kinds of cheating and adulteration done to the wood from painting it with dark stains to pressure injections of synthetic oils and fragrant scents. I have seen many pieces of wood that I thought looked resinous and dark just to find out that they are merely visual sculptures of no value as fragrant wood and others that looked light and chunky that turned out to be sink grade???

fumigateur
02-10-2012, 06:49 PM
I have also had the experience where the wood I received did not look like the wood in the picture on the site. I think the best rule of thumb is the rule we use in another of my interests - watch collecting. The saying goes: Buy the seller not the watch. I think this translates perfectly, buy the seller not the oud. If you have a seller you trust then the wood should be described accurately and I am always happy to pay a slight premium to be safe in the knowledge that I am getting honest product. Of course one cannot compare buying a watch which is a know entity to the mysteries of oud with its complex variety and qualities.

fumigateur
02-11-2012, 05:47 AM
No sooner do I write about buying the seller than I immediately come across a seller I have never heard of - on Facebook. The FB page is "Fatima's Oud Oil* Attar* Wood* More*" and quite a variety of chip sources are offered there. Does anyone here have experience with this seller?

masstika
02-27-2012, 11:03 PM
I came across this Tibetan Incense stick by Dolkar House called Aquilaria Agallocha-31 91 so I naturally thought that it must have some Aloeswood in it but I was mistaken. This must be from the non infected Aquilaria tree. The stick itself has absolutely no discernible fragrance. However, it devours other odors. I had fried fish that evening and unconsciously lite a stick, 20 minutes later and the smell has disappeared from the apartment. This stick burns slow and burns long time. We've talked here before about how certain Incense houses change their ingredients without announcement. A case in point I came across recently; a friend of mine sent me this sample stick of a Tibetan Incense that smelled so heavenly, a mix of Aloeswood, Sandalwood and some other spices. It was as if you've taken a lower grade Japanese Incense stick and make it thicker like Tibetan sticks so I ordered couple of bundles considering how inexpensive they are 92 Well the package I got while it might have looked similar is absolutely nothing to do with the one I smelled the sample of 93. When I looked at the detail of the label I noticed that it is graphically slightly different. However, this one smells medicinal and Therapeutic. It imparts a very serious and somber frame of mind appropriate for solving problems or contemplating difficult issues. I have a feeling it is used for treatment of stomach aliments because it gives a very calming effect.

A great find is the Keiga Byakudan (Sandalwood sticks). they were reviewed at ORS. At an incredible prize you get a great Sandalwood stick and very little else. Granted the scent is not creamy or pop corn y like the larger chips by Daihatsu but this is very close. This is a clean smell that is not marred by other strong scents and does not have the acidity associated with sticks dipped in oils or synthetics but rather what ever is there is to play a supporting role and to enhance the smell. At that cost I'll lite 2of them at the same time. http://www.japanincense.com/kg-0019.html

Oudiferous
02-28-2012, 05:59 PM
Just burning some of Oudimentary's Tarakan Hitam chips on my newly-arrived electric burner from Mermade's. Great burner! So glad to not be doing the charcoal thing anymore. Electric burners are definitely the way to go in savoring the chip, and savoring its aroma all the way through. Highly recommended.

The chips are not significantly resinated, but are definitely good quality. Good for the price. They give a very nice sweet and pleasant agarwood aroma.

epidoc
02-28-2012, 06:21 PM
Just burning some of Oudimentary's Tarakan Hitam chips on my newly-arrived electric burner from Mermade's. Great burner! So glad to not be doing the charcoal thing anymore. Electric burners are definitely the way to go in savoring the chip, and savoring its aroma all the way through. Highly recommended.

The chips are not significantly resinated, but are definitely good quality. Good for the price. They give a very nice sweet and pleasant agarwood aroma.

I have one of these electric incense heaters and really love it - especially with Lamb's breath or Mermade's kyphi.

A question for you Oudiferous - have you tried the premium agarwood chips from Scented Mountain? I have some and feel underwhelmed by these chips. I haven't tried any other agarwood chips and hence can't compare the SM chips to anything else. Would love to hear if you tried some and if yes, what do you think of these chips?

Thanks.

epidoc
02-28-2012, 06:24 PM
A great find is the Keiga Byakudan (Sandalwood sticks). they were reviewed at ORS. At an incredible prize you get a great Sandalwood stick and very little else. Granted the scent is not creamy or pop corn y like the larger chips by Daihatsu but this is very close. This is a clean smell that is not marred by other strong scents and does not have the acidity associated with sticks dipped in oils or synthetics but rather what ever is there is to play a supporting role and to enhance the smell. At that cost I'll lite 2of them at the same time. http://www.japanincense.com/kg-0019.html

Love these sandalwood sticks along with Shunkohdo Sarasoju. Another japanese sandalwood incense I would highly recommend is the one from Minorein.

Oudiferous
02-28-2012, 07:26 PM
I have one of these electric incense heaters and really love it - especially with Lamb's breath or Mermade's kyphi.

A question for you Oudiferous - have you tried the premium agarwood chips from Scented Mountain? I have some and feel underwhelmed by these chips. I haven't tried any other agarwood chips and hence can't compare the SM chips to anything else. Would love to hear if you tried some and if yes, what do you think of these chips?

Thanks.

I haven't tried Mermade's kyphi, but have some Lamb's Breath on its way. Mermade's sent me some "Earth Church", which is quite nice. They seem to have a good hand in creating earthy incense.

Regarding Scented Mountain, I haven't tried any of their agarwood chips. They don't seem up to snuff to you? That is probably true then. I always go for the highest quality available if I can, and SM usually has good prices.

And I second your recommendation of Minorien's sandalwood incense. Very good quality! Same with their Frankincense.

ibn
02-28-2012, 08:33 PM
Kyukyodo's Yumemachi is a very nice sandalwood incense. It smells like the scent of the sandalwood chips that Baieido sells, just pure sandalwood, no added spices or oils like many other sandalwood sticks.

Like Abubakr, I prefer my oud over charcoal, but lambs breath, other bakhs and hojari are best on the electric burner.

-- ibn futuwwah

epidoc
02-28-2012, 09:48 PM
Just noticed that Scented Mountain have added "highest" quality agar wood chips from Thailand. The chips seem to have some good resin buildup - itching to place an order.

masstika
02-28-2012, 10:26 PM
epidoc, I have tried SM chips and I think I wrote back here somewhere about them. I got the Emperor Agrawood sticks/wand. They smell typical cultivated Oud. Not much complexity or depth. They are dry and Hay like in smell and they are a great way to scent the room quickly. I have lit them the way they described on the site, lighting on and putting off repeatedly and I have burned some on Charcoal and ash and that was less successful because they are thin and they burn rather quickly over charcoal before they manage to release their aromas. They fared a bit better on the electrical burner. In general they can't be compared to wild harvested and older type of Oud. Additionally, I had written the people at Scented Mountain an E-mail notifying them of our shared experience of their sticks going off repeatedly during burning. They were kind enough to respond and here is what they said :"... We try to put as much high quality agarwood as possible into these incense sticks. If we add more binder (that helps keep the incense burning) it takes away from the agarwood content and can reduce the quality of the aroma. We have had only a few people indicate the sticks had to be relighted and we suggested to them to increase air movement around the sticks. This helps keeps them going. Also using an incense burner that keeps the stick upright and in the open air can help (instead of a stick down in a burner with sides). We are a bit reluctant to reduce the amount of agarwood in the high quality sticks and increase the concentration of the binder but we will take a close look at this situation and see what can be done."

@ibn, where do you get your Yumemachi? I see that Kyukyoodo have discontinued them.

ibn
02-28-2012, 11:25 PM
masstika, my kyukyodo sandalwood incense came from an acquaintance in Japan some time ago. FWIW, the 'Premium, Old Sandalwood Specialty Incense' from ecclecstacy is quite good for a traditional 'pure' sandalwood scent, and the sticks are 'temple' length too. I have no recent experience dealing with them but if i recall correctly they were a little slow to ship at times. Please remember that it is best to sample before buying, if possible. We may not share the same tastes and values.

My experience with sandalwood incense, including many of the ones mentioned here, is that while they may contain some sandalwood or sandalwood oil (natural or synthetic), they present an accord which is not the true scent of mysore sandalwood.

My experience with oud chips is that there is some great stuff out there that is beyond my modest means. The closest I can get to the quality I would like is a sampler pack of Shoyeido's Translucent Path incense :)

Has anyone tried Oudline's King Super grade chips ?

masstika
02-29-2012, 12:53 AM
ibn, I have tried Oudline's King super grade chips less than a year a go. 94 I have to say they were the best smelling Oud chips I have had by far. if memory serves me right, they had that unique warm cinnamon/clove like smell with a slight acidic note to balance the sweetness. Extremely good buy :) 95
For s97andalwood the best I have smelled so far were the chips from Daihatsu 96 followed by the sandalwood "leaf cut" by Shunkohdo 97. The Daihatsu is warm, soft and pop corn like sweet smell with little acidity. The chips are shiny, moist and sticky the touch. The Shukohdo on the other hand is drier, fracture and less sweet. Could be a bit acidic and not as deep or warm but it is roughly half the cost.

ibn
02-29-2012, 10:34 AM
@masstika - thanks for your kind reply and for sharing your valuable experience. The benchmark/reference I use for mysore sandalwood is the Baieido byakudan sandalwood chips.

I have some palo santo chips on the burner this morning. Palo santo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bursera_graveolens) is a tree in the frankincense/myrrh family which grows in the amazon and elsewhere in south america. It is very purifying and calming.

ibn
02-29-2012, 12:08 PM
It is strange the way that some thoughts and memes find a way to enter our lives just when they are most needed. Here is one.

"If of thy mortal goods thou art bereft
And from thy slender store two loaves (of bread) alone to thee are left
Sell one, and with the dole
Buy hyacinths to feed thy soul.”

Moslih Saadi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saadi_(poet)), Persian poet who lived in 13th century

masstika
02-29-2012, 09:55 PM
ibn, How is the Baieido's Sandalwood Chips smell like? Can you describe it? and how's the packaging look like, if you don't mind me asking? I am surprised the poet didn't tell him to sell BOTH loaves of bread :)

ibn
03-01-2012, 10:16 PM
masstika, the Baieido sandalwood chips are the only ones i am familiar with so i can not make a direct comparison with the Daihatsu or others.

How do they smell ?

They could most accurately and succinctly be desribed as smelling like ... mysore sandalwood :)

A more effusive description might be to say that they have a creamy, woody, slightly spicy, gentle scent. The actual scent will depend on how they are heated, whether by coal or electric burner and how the coal and ash is prepared or the burner is set.

I intend no unkindness when i say that pine resin, when burnt, serves best to remind us of the beauty of hojary and sandalwood, oud. Each has its own beauty, value and and place in the scheme of things but after burning good oud chips nothing else satisfies quite so much.

Regarding the packaging, the Japanese are masters of the art of presentation. A google for 'Baieido Byakudan chips' will yield any number of photos of a lovely little box (mine is brown) with a baggie full of wood chips and an insert in Japanese which I can not read but which no doubt describes the 12 generations of wood buyers who have worked for Baieido over the last 400 or more years and how their accumulated knowledge of sandalwood trees, passed from generation to generation, is a guarantee of the finest product.

It probably then goes on to talk about the Japanese incense ceremony, the type of materials used, and the correct way to show respect to this tree when using the chips.

Edward T
03-01-2012, 11:36 PM
Hello Masstika or anyone else for that matter. If you do get some high quality sandalwood chips I would suggest burning them simultanously with a high quality Cambodian chip like the Khao Yai or something of similiar quality. I'm burning both together right now and it's an incredible combination.

YouNight
03-02-2012, 02:20 AM
ibn, How is the Baieido's Sandalwood Chips smell like? ...and how's the packaging look like, if you don't mind me asking?

Here's a pic I took of one of my boxes. I, too, love Baieido's Byakudan chips.
I noticed that the price of them nearly doubled a little while back. Still worth it, in my opinion.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y298/emmett9/Baieido_Bayakudan_sandalwood.jpg

masstika
03-03-2012, 12:52 AM
Thanks ibn. Ed, that's a great idea, I'll make sure t try it this week end. I don't know why it never occurred to me. some times I burn them consecutively but never tried them at the same time. Thanks YouNight for the Pic. It's very nice packaging and I am sure that bag once opened it smells fantastic. I was wondering, does the plastic bag have a zip lock on it or once it cut open it stays open?

YouNight
03-03-2012, 12:59 AM
Thanks YouNight for the Pic. It's very nice packaging and I am sure that bag once opened it smells fantastic. I was wondering, does the plastic bag have a zip lock on it or once it cut open it stays open?

My pleasure, masstika.
The bag is a zip-loc style one. Good for freshness. =)

ibn
03-03-2012, 06:25 PM
Hello Masstika or anyone else for that matter. If you do get some high quality sandalwood chips I would suggest burning them simultanously with a high quality Cambodian chip like the Khao Yai or something of similiar quality. I'm burning both together right now and it's an incredible combination.

Here is an interesting youtube video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7luhuc8KCXM) showing sandalwood and oud being burnt together in ash.

masstika
03-04-2012, 02:25 PM
The vertical piece of wood I am assuming is the Sandalwood chip and I am sure what is the powder that he used to start the fire? Very nice especially how tender he was with the ash when the fire was just starting up. Thanks ibn for sharing.

ibn
03-04-2012, 03:59 PM
@masstika: I was wondering the same thing about the powder. It looked a little like makko powder (http://www.essenceoftheages.com/acces/makko.html) but it could have been sandalwood powder too. The video looks like it was made in an incense maker/vendor's stall so i'd guess its makko.

The key to this technique seems to be to regulate the burn by covering the smoldering wood powder and sandalwood stick with just the right amount of ash, leaving a small space for oxygen to enter and smoke to exit.

AbuAyoob
03-12-2012, 01:34 AM
Today I burned Nipponkodo Grapefruit sticks and they hit the spot. Today's weather here where I am in Canada got up to 56 degrees feranheit and that citrus note hit the spot. I got a few goodies in from japanincense and must say I am a bug fan of Japanese incense now. Also I am waiting for my order to come in from agarscentsbazaar (saffron musk, Kashmiri kashturi and mitti with musk sticks).

ibn
03-12-2012, 01:17 PM
I burn Omani hojari first thing in the morning, almost every day.

I wouldn't generally mix the two, but today i followed up with some lamb's breath just to check out a hypothesis.

It reminds me in some ways (the musky softness) of the nice nag champa and musk incenses I used to smell when walking down the street past the head shops in the Haight-Ashbury district of San Francisco back in the late 60s. The modern versions of these incenses just don't seem to compare to the old ones.

@AbuAyoob - If you like mitti, the mitti attar that whitelotusaromatics used to sell is excellent. I was sad to see that they discontinued almost all of their nice attars and am thankful I managed to get a small amount of each one before they disappeared. I hope they return because I would like to restock on amberi, which was a SOTD for me for a long time.

YouNight
03-12-2012, 01:25 PM
I'm keeping it simple and inexpensive this morning with some Palo Santo chips.

The sweet, almost coconutty note, and the smooth and creamy woodiness is something that I enjoy.
It's too inexpensive not to keep some around at all times.

masstika
03-12-2012, 02:25 PM
The Grapefruit sticks are diffidently nice especially on those first spring morning days. You should try burning some Frankincense from Eritrea. That dry clean camphor note goes well with the sourness of the Grapefruit stick. For me, it's the opposite perception of the temperature; it's an unseasonably cool 68F degrees :) so it time for couple of sticks of Keigado, Keiga Byakudan (Sandalwood) to warm up the atmosphere 142and at such cost I can easily burn 2 or 3 sticks. lately I have been enjoying burning some Sandalwood with Oud at the same time after watching the video clip by ibn. I have not been able to replicate the same experience because in my trials I found that the sandalwood leaf or chips burn much faster than the Aloeswood so I find myself constantly fudging around the ash and trying, mostly unsuccessfully, to control the burning speed between those different chips but for the few perfect moments when the 2 smokes interwove into one sublime mix that makes it worth the effort. I think if I get small log pieces I would be more successful at making the sandalwood burn at the same speed as the Oud chips. Has any one tried this Sandalwood log? http://www.saffron-road.org/index.php/sandalwood/mysore/sandlewood-wood-100g.html

AbuAyoob
03-12-2012, 04:29 PM
Masstika I will try that combo a little later today as I now have to sneak in burn time so that I do not disturb little man. I am not a big fan of the NK Ginger sticks as I am not getting any ginger out of them, there seems to be a floral note that dominates the scent.

Yesterday in the evening I burned Kunmaido's Reiryo Koh and they have a nice softness to them that I enjoy in a more open area. And the Keigado Jiyou Koh sticks are from their Less Smoke line, a very clean fresh scent to them good for an afternoon break. And my favorite are the Tokusen Kobunboku which is a combination of sandalwood Oud and other spices, a phenomenal scent right out of the box spicy and sweet!

Thanks to you all for introducing a brother to Japanese incense, pretty cool!

Ibn, the only mitti that I have tried were from agarscentsbazaar's mitti with musk sticks in the past, which led to my purchase. As far as oil I have not had the chance to sample any yet and will try to acquire some.

ibn
03-12-2012, 04:49 PM
@masstika: QT has some different kinds of sandalwood sticks in his store here (http://www.qt-store.com/servlet/the-Sandalwood/Categories)
Like you, I am getting interested in trying out the method in the video.

@AbuAyoob: Its getting harder to find good quality attars at a good price. I haven't tried rksons mitti attar (http://www.essentialoilscompany.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11_3&products_id=34) but i'd expect it to be ok.

Oudiferous
03-12-2012, 07:29 PM
@AbuAyoob - If you like mitti, the mitti attar that whitelotusaromatics used to sell is excellent. I was sad to see that they discontinued almost all of their nice attars and am thankful I managed to get a small amount of each one before they disappeared. I hope they return because I would like to restock on amberi, which was a SOTD for me for a long time.

Ibn, you can acquire the Amberi Attar that was previously sold by WLA from John Steele, here: http://shop.perfumersapprentice.com/c-130-authentic-indian-attars-jsteele.aspx

The other Attars he has is what remains of WLA's stock.

On my burner today: Beautifully resinated Laos wood that Edward T sent me. Really nice and rich aroma.

masstika
03-12-2012, 07:36 PM
Thanks ibn for the reference to QT. In the past I have been less than happy with my purchases from there due to the lack of quality but I see he has changed the look of the web site and now there is a ton of different origin Agarwood chips in there for sale. Has anyone ordered any woods from there lately?

ibn
03-12-2012, 08:34 PM
Ibn, you can acquire the Amberi Attar that was previously sold by WLA from John Steele, here: http://shop.perfumersapprentice.com/c-130-authentic-indian-attars-jsteele.aspx

@Oudiferous: Laos wood ? ... you are such a tease !

@Masstika: thanks - I know about this source but the prices are high compared to what I payed ...

QT ?

I haven't purchased recently, but there isn't much risk in picking up some sandalwood sticks to try out. I may order some myself soon.

I have had some nice oils from him in the past and also some ok ones. I still have a smear or two of something he sold a few years ago as a '75 Hindi which was probably authentic, judging from the smell. Very mature Hindi oud is in a class of its own. I also had some sandalwood oil from him a few years ago that was about as good as any I've had since, from anywhere. And I also had a Cambodi Qadim from him a while back that was quite nice too, though a little smokey, which I kinda like when I'm in the right mood. And I have had a Laos DS from him which is ok. To summarize, my experience in the past with QT has been ok.

Correction ... I just checked ... the '75 is a Cambodian, the Hindi is a '82. He used to have a number of oils which weren't listed in his store. Ask and he'll send you a list. I don't know what the situation is like now ... best to sample first.

floraopia
03-13-2012, 03:20 PM
I purchased some Sandalwood oil from him a couple of weeks back... Super Fine Mysore 3ml for $60 and Wild Royal Indonesian Finest Sandalwood 12ml for $100 and it looks OK. However, I would not trust what they sell 100% like I would with say Ensar Oud or Agar Aura, for three reasons.

Firstly, because they seem to have lots of extremely rare scents like Mysore sandalwood and musk which is very hard to find on the net if not impossible and very, very expensive, although QT are selling them relatively cheap. I searched for Mysore sandalwood online for almost a month but only found Profumo selling it for €123 per gram and it was sold out everywhere else... QT on the other hand seems to have lots of it to sell. Still when it arrived I compared it to Profumo's offering and it smelt very similar, but not as strong. My subjective opinion is that it is either Santalum Album from Tamil Nadu or Sri Lanka, or adulterated Mysore. Of course it could be genuine, but I find that highly unlikely given the price and the rarity of the oil.

Secondly, because of some damning reviews including one on this forum who said that they received charcoal instead of musk grains. I questioned Ham Firl - or his son - about the online reviews and he just dismissed them as nonsense without a convincing reason as to why he thought the negative reviews were not valid.

Thirdly because I had a lengthy chat over the phone with him a few weeks ago - or an assistant - and while he came across as a very pleasant and genuine seller and I would not suspect him of duping his customers for a second, he did seem to be just that - a seller. It is just a business to him and he passes on what he gets from other sources without being too concerned with making sure 100% that his wares are beyond reproach or doubt.

Of course the above reasons are my perception and may be wrong, but that is my assessment and I am careful where I spend my money. If I do buy from sellers like QT, it is only to baseline and calibrate my sense of smell and experience.

The problem with sellers is - online or in person - that everything really does depend upon taking the seller's word for purity and my (cynical) opinion is that everything rare is adulterated unless I have 100% proof that it is not.

ibn
03-13-2012, 04:23 PM
Firstly, because they seem to have lots of extremely rare scents like Mysore sandalwood and musk which is very hard to find on the net if not impossible and very, very expensive, although QT are selling them relatively cheap.

QT is not selling sandalwood oil relatively cheaply. There is a lot of marking up of prices going on throughout this business. For example, check out these prices: RKsons sandalwood oil (http://www.essentialoilscompany.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6&products_id=19) RKsons sandalwood oils tend to be pretty 'fresh', without the sophistication and maturity of aged oil, but the samples I've received smell genuine and have the trademark vibe of other Mysore oils I've had from at least 3 different reliable vendors (Aromatics International, Scents-of-Earth, and QT). Full disclosure - I'm not an expert and don't have any GCMS equipment, but AI have published GCMS data on their Mysore oil.

Personally, I'm ok with sellers making a profit on their merchandise. They have to make a living like (most) everyone else, provide a valuable service and deserve compensation. The are not providing a public service, they are running a business. It is in their own interest to be fair and honest with their customers.

As far as I can tell, there is a lot of fear, uncertainty and doubt being spread by many. You should consider who benefits from this attitude.

Musk is a difficult subject to discuss due to the problems associated with its production. I was curious about QTs musk grains some years ago and purchased a sample. It was NOT charcoal and did smell like an authentic, if mediocre, musk. I've had it infusing in sandalwood oil for about 8 years and its ok, nothing to write home about. Sharif's Kashmiri kasthuri superior is much better.

I'm with Mr. P - I'll take my chances and develop relationships with affordable honest vendors as I go.

My experience with QT has been ok and yes, Ensar's stuff is very nice and very pricey ! If I could afford it, I would own a tola of each oil Ensar sells, together with a tola of ASAQ 50 year old Kalakassi, a tola of ASAQ Thaqeel, a tola of AO King Fahad and a tola of AO Ward Taifi.

Oh, don't forget the 30ml bottles of Amouage Tribute and Homage too :)

ibn
03-13-2012, 04:47 PM
The problem with sellers is - online or in person - that everything really does depend upon taking the seller's word for purity

In my experience, purity is only one measure of quality. I judge by smell ... and I've had a few 'pure' oud oils I didn't care for much :)

ibn
03-13-2012, 05:08 PM
Has anyone tried these Vietnamese chips (http://www.qt-store.com/servlet/the-293/Eaglewood%2C-Bakhours%2C-Aloeswood%2C-Incense%2C/Detail) from QT ?

fumigateur
03-13-2012, 07:24 PM
I am looking for the basic incense utensils: a pair of tweezers and a small spoon for working with my wood and ash. Essenceoftheages has had this combo item in the past but not at this time. Does anyone know another place i can purchase before I wind up at a medical supply house and purchase some steel instruments there to do the job.

floraopia
03-13-2012, 08:29 PM
QT is not selling sandalwood oil relatively cheaply. There is a lot of marking up of prices going on throughout this business.

You may be right there, but I am speaking from my own personal experience. After searching online for one month I could only find a couple of very expensive suppliers of Mysore sandalwood. In my mind, expensive prices do not necessarily equate to the genuine article, but I feel that cheap prices generally do point to some form of corruption in the purity of the oil. This view is naive in some respects, as you have pointed out that a lot of marking up does occur and I learn more about this industry everyday even though I have been buying oils for the past 6 years.

For example, check out these prices: RKsons sandalwood oil (http://www.essentialoilscompany.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6&products_id=19) RKsons sandalwood oils tend to be pretty 'fresh', without the sophistication and maturity of aged oil, but the samples I've received smell genuine and have the trademark vibe of other Mysore oils I've had from at least 3 different reliable vendors (Aromatics International, Scents-of-Earth, and QT). Full disclosure - I'm not an expert and don't have any GCMS equipment, but AI have published GCMS data on their Mysore oil.

The prices look very competitive, but the sceptic in me is wondering about the GCMS test as I have read many articles on how skilled the debasement process is, to the extent that even a GCMS cannot pick it up! If the oil from the essential oils company is really pure, then it is an absolute steal at the prices they are asking for. I am just so anal about getting authentic oil, that I would be willing to travel to India to take a look at their company, before I bought any substantial amount from them. The problem is that I don't trust my nose either as Oud oils that I have been assured are pure and that I have thought, smelt right, have broken down into a chemical mess after 2 years.

Personally, I'm ok with sellers making a profit on their merchandise. They have to make a living like (most) everyone else, provide a valuable service and deserve compensation. The are not providing a public service, they are running a business. It is in their own interest to be fair and honest with their customers.

I agree that this should be the case. However with the amount of adulteration that goes on in the industry, unfortunately I just don't think this is the case with many sellers.

Musk is a difficult subject to discuss due to the problems associated with its production. I was curious about QTs musk grains some years ago and purchased a sample. It was NOT charcoal and did smell like an authentic, if mediocre, musk. I've had it infusing in sandalwood oil for about 8 years and its ok, nothing to write home about. Sharif's Kashmiri kasthuri superior is much better.

Thanks for the great reference, I think I will give that musk a try!

I'm with Mr. P - I'll take my chances and develop relationships with affordable honest vendors as I go.

Agreed. That is exactly how I proceed with my purchases.

Oudiferous
03-13-2012, 09:45 PM
I'm with you, Floraopia. I prefer to stick my trusted vendors (which are small in number). While it is unfair to say that cheap prices for a rare oil indicates an adulterated product, I think it is fair to say that a cheap price tag on a rare oil is enough to raise my skepticism. I look for various things beyond the price tag, however. If the vendor cannot describe the oil with much detail, or give much background as to its origin, or anything else, and just lists it very generically, then I tend to err on the side of caution. I cannot fully trust my nose with some oils to know for sure, as you described, and that is why I feel that it is essential to develop a relationship of trust with specific vendors. Oud is a slightly different story, in that I find it very easy to pick out a fake or less than pure oil. I personally keep my Oud purchases between Ensar Oud and Agar Aura, end of story.

I've tried Sharif's Kashmiri Musk. It's a nice musk, but again, I wouldn't be able to tell if it is pure deer musk or not (most likely not).

ibn
03-13-2012, 10:36 PM
I personally keep my Oud purchases between Ensar Oud and Agar Aura, end of story.
You are missing out on a lot of nice oud oils Oudiferous, but I bet you get a lot of free samples. Your reviews are poetic :)

I've tried Sharif's Kashmiri Musk. It's a nice musk, but again, I wouldn't be able to tell if it is pure deer musk or not (most likely not).

Which Kashmiri Kasthuri did you try ? Last time I checked there were at least 3. When people start throwing around the 'P' word in connection with musk, it makes
me feel like having some fun. Really, the only thing that is 'pure' musk is the contents of the musk gland of the musk deer. You wouldn't want to rub some on your wrist :)

All musks are diluted for use, either in oil or alcohol. Its very hard to fool someone with a synthetic musk base into thinking it is real musk. I've never seen anyone try to do it.
Even within the category of so called 'pure' musk attars or tinctures, there is a great deal of variance in scent. Each one is different - the differences depend on the diet of the deer, its locale, age, time that the musk pod was taken or found, sub-species and many other things. These distinctions are far more important to people who know about musk than this elusive term 'pure'. If you want to try a nice musk attar, try Sharif's Musk Sharif. It smells like a nice Kashmiri Kasthuri with a little rose to balance the animalic side of the musk.

Now lets look at the 'P' word in the context of oud oils. I've very rarely run into an adulterated oud oil. I've run into a few which might have been cut a little with sandalwood but I've never run into one that has any synthetic oud chemicals added. Like musk, the perceived quality of oud depends very much on many factors other than so called purity. When I decide to purchase an oud, it is because I like the smell of it, its sillage, its lasting power, the way it modifies my state of mind, and many other factors. I don't look at an oil and say this one is pure so I like it and this one isn't pure so I can't like it. Purity has little to do with it.

Most vendors who wave around the 'P' word and insinuate that other vendor's products may not be 'pure' are trying to sell a concept, not a product. The product may or may not be nice, but when I hear the 'P' word, I hear a marketing campaign.

In some cases, like Ensar, the purity of his product is a side effect of his artisanal approach to producing oils, but its the meticulous and discerning care he apparently takes with his products, not their purity, which distinguishes them. I don't know about Agar Aura but I have no reason to doubt that they have nice oils too.

ibn
03-13-2012, 10:50 PM
The prices look very competitive, but the sceptic in me is wondering about the GCMS test as I have read many articles on how skilled the debasement process is, to the extent that even a GCMS cannot pick it up! If the oil from the essential oils company is really pure, then it is an absolute steal at the prices they are asking for.

I think commercial vendors of products like these have more to loose than gain by adulterating their products. They are in business to meet volume requirements of large companies, not to defraud individuals like you or me with few bottles of oil. We're lucky to be able to get their attention with our purchases.

The samples I received would need aging for a few years before I could compare them to the best oils I have, but they have potential.

I am just so anal about getting authentic oil, that I would be willing to travel to India to take a look at their company, before I bought any substantial amount from them.

Do let us know what you discover !

The problem is that I don't trust my nose either as Oud oils that I have been assured are pure and that I have thought, smelt right, have broken down into a chemical mess after 2 years.

huh?

floraopia
03-14-2012, 04:28 AM
I'm with you, Floraopia. I prefer to stick my trusted vendors (which are small in number). While it is unfair to say that cheap prices for a rare oil indicates an adulterated product, I think it is fair to say that a cheap price tag on a rare oil is enough to raise my skepticism. I look for various things beyond the price tag, however. If the vendor cannot describe the oil with much detail, or give much background as to its origin, or anything else, and just lists it very generically, then I tend to err on the side of caution. I cannot fully trust my nose with some oils to know for sure, as you described, and that is why I feel that it is essential to develop a relationship of trust with specific vendors. Oud is a slightly different story, in that I find it very easy to pick out a fake or less than pure oil. I personally keep my Oud purchases between Ensar Oud and Agar Aura, end of story.

I think we both have the same approach to buying Oud and rare scents in general, although you expressed yourself better than me! I definitely look at various factors such as my sense of smell - very unreliable -, the approach of the vendor, the details of the product, anecdotal evidence - e.g. online reviews, or personal recommendations - and I also err on the side of caution as I do not want to put DOP and other chemicals on my skin unwittingly and also do not want to spend money on something that is not the genuine article!

floraopia
03-14-2012, 05:07 AM
I think commercial vendors of products like these have more to loose than gain by adulterating their products. They are in business to meet volume requirements of large companies, not to defraud individuals like you or me with few bottles of oil. We're lucky to be able to get their attention with our purchases.

You represent an optimistic view of the state of the industry and my view is the opposite in some respects!

huh?

Its true! I have bought Oud from ASAQ and AO in Saudi Arabia where I currently work and two years on, the Ouds have developed a nasty chemical smell that none of the others have from Oriscent. It isn't as if I bought the cheapest Oud in the shop either, but in fact the opposite, as I asked the assistant for the very best they had and paid about SR900 for 1/4 tola - about £150 or $240. There was also someone in the UK who sold me a 'Cambodi' oud for £50 (about $80) and I ignored the low price as he told me that he had bought 'directly from the source'. It smelt nice and sweet so I bought it and four years on, it has developed some notes that I can only describe as sour and nasty, while the sweetness has rapidly receded into the background.

I am quite a stickler for purity as I just cannot stand synthetic scents and for this reason, I never ever used scent before I discovered pure, high quality oils such as Rose, Oud and musk from vendors like Oriscent, Silk Road Ends and Uns 7 years ago. I discovered Taha from Agar Aura through this - and other - forums and added him to my very short personal list of 'approved and trusted vendors' after ordering some Oud Kampuchea from him. I actually ordered some Montale samples in 2006 just to compare as I had no idea about Oud then and I was so repulsed by the smell that I literally had to wrap them in several layers of plastic bags and eventually threw them away.

ibn
03-14-2012, 10:30 AM
I am sorry to hear of your unfortunate experience with ASAQ and AO. Did the product come in an original sealed package ?

As far as Montale goes, you shouldn't expect to find an alcohol based authentic good oud. Alcohol is haraam.

Would it be imposing on you to check, the next time you are near an AO store, on the price of 1/4 tola of King Fahad ?

masstika
03-14-2012, 11:58 AM
I'd have to say that most likely that 99% of the Mysore sandalwood out there is adulterated or from a different region all together. My understanding is that the Indian Government owns all the Mysore Sandalwood trees even if it is located on a private property. Logs are sold twice a year in Auction, so most merchant try to score as much as they can but you can imagine the types of monopoly and control that goes behind the scene. Trygve of Enfleurage Chronicles her trials trying to score pure Mysore Sandalwood in India in her Blog; it is a must read that will really change your minds about how things are produced and what goes in the mind of producers. http://www.absolutetrygve.com/2010/02/holy-grail.html
Adulteration doesn't have to be with synthetics, Oud is cut and extended with Nagrmoth. I think the issue here is honesty and truth in Advertising. So when the advertising camping say there is roses in the mix I expect it to have real roses not some synthetic compound. The other point I think is misunderstanding; for example when vendors refer to musk especially in the Indian tradition it is rather a mix that is warm and sensual as when they say Amber it is not the actual Resin Amber but rather a mix of E.O. that has a soft "Amber" like smell. Pure Musk smells like the underside of an animal (if you grew around farm animals you'll know what I mean :)). Sherif's Musks (I have tried all three) are nice mixes but I would not say that they represent the smell of deer musk.
Unfortunately, in the Middle East and in Saudi in particular the issue of purity in oil is not paramount but rather it's the smell they are after. I have seen very very few people quizzing the salespersons about the oils in the Oud stores that I have been to.
One last item that i have noticed from few is the tendency to play it safe...where is your sense of Adventure. I don't mind taking chances here and there otherwise how can one expand their knowledge and experience if you stick to the same vendors all the time. Those highly esteemed vendors are the standard by which one can judge the others but that should not stop you from once in a while venturing to the unknown. With regard to the issue of Alcohol in perfume being Haram or sinful for Muslims, I think there is more to it but I am sure if this is the right place for it's discussion, however for those interested in knowing more you can check the following: http://islamqa.com/en/ref/1365/alcohol%20in%20perfume

ibn
03-14-2012, 01:49 PM
I'd have to say that most likely that 99% of the Mysore sandalwood out there is adulterated or from a different region all together. My understanding is that the Indian Government owns all the Mysore Sandalwood trees even if it is located on a private property. Logs are sold twice a year in Auction, so most merchant try to score as much as they can but you can imagine the types of monopoly and control that goes behind the scene.

Masstika, would you please show us your evidence that 99% of the mysore sandalwood oil out there is adulterated ? Do you know this for a fact or is it an assumption based on the reasoning you presented above ?

On the subject of the Indian government, you probably know that corruption (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corruption_in_India) is a big problem in India. I would not assume that because the government has a so called monopoly on the trees that they control the market for sandalwood or sandalwood oil. For example, read this article (http://www.dnaindia.com/india/report_20-tonne-sandalwood-seized-at-mundra_1614363). This article (http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2012-02-27/nagpur/31103820_1_sandalwood-trees-moef-maharashtra) is also interesting.

Regarding nagrmoth, it does not smell like oud. I have a small jar of it at my nose as i write :) Maybe you could put a little in a hindi oud, but not a borneo or malaysian.
I agree with you about the hindi approach to musk based mukhallets but it is obvious to me when I smell one whether it is something done with the intent to make a nice smelling musk mix or whether it is an unadulterated musk. For example, Sharif's kashmiri kasturi ultimate is clearly a musk without other aromatic compounds or oils added, apart from sandalwood whereas his musk sharif is clearly the work of a perfumer blending musk and rose and perhaps other aromatic oils to create a work of art.

Pure musk may smell like the underside of an animal, but diluted it takes on an entirely different scent profile, so when I smell a musk I do not decide whether it is true or not based on whether it smells like the underside of an animal.

I do think it is likely that wood from Tamil Nadu may be used by some vendors of 'mysore' sandalwood. When I purchased my first small bottle from Aromatics International some years ago, it was from a batch that the owner had personally acquired at the karnataka factory, IIRC and came with GCMS data, as many of their products do. It is no longer available unfortunately.

ibn
03-14-2012, 02:46 PM
With regard to the issue of Alcohol in perfume being Haram or sinful for Muslims, I think there is more to it but I am sure if this is the right place for it's discussion, however for those interested in knowing more you can check the following: http://islamqa.com/en/ref/1365/alcohol%20in%20perfume

Thank you for the interesting link Masstika. You are right, this probably isn't the right place to discuss this other than to note that most perfumes based on alcohol are mostly alcohol, and no one in their right mind would waste good oud by mixing it with alcohol :)

ibn
03-14-2012, 03:56 PM
Here is another interesting article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veerappan) relevant to the mysore sandalwood business. Veerappan smuggled an estimated 10,000 tons of sandalwood worth $USD 22 Million.

masstika
03-15-2012, 11:34 AM
Masstika, would you please show us your evidence that 99% of the mysore sandalwood oil out there is adulterated ?
I am not sure if the question is rhetorical but in case it's not I would present as my evidence the hundred if not thousands of testimonies from people in the field whether vendors, distillers or buyers that testifies to that fact. Granted that it might not be 99% but the chances of you buying an adulterated Mysore Sandalwood oil is a lot higher than say 50/50. Just take a look at e-bay or AliBaba and if you do the quick math you'll find that it is impossible that all that is being offered in the market is genuine Mysore Sandalwood. There is also plenty of reports by CITES regarding the illicit trade in Mysore Sandalwood especially to China. IMHO, short of getting a sealed bottle from the Karantaka factory or from your most trusted vendor who bought it from a very honest distiller who somehow managed to buy it in the auction or somehow got it from the"back door" and even then one can not be 100% sure.

http://www.toboc.com/tradenews/Rising-Sandalwood-Demand-In-China-Triggers-Illegal-Trade/1308.aspx

ibn
03-15-2012, 11:58 AM
Dear Masstika, in life only two things are 100% sure - taxes and our own death ... wait, I just thought of a third: the ever increasing price of good oud oil !

And finally, I agree with you that some 'mysore' sandalwood oil on the market is not genuine, but as a point of logic, it is unreasonable to try to defend the assertion that 99%, or most, or (it seems now) 50% of the oils advertised as mysore sandalwood are not genuine by arguing that NOT ALL oils advertised as mysore sandalwood are genuine.

floraopia
03-15-2012, 02:36 PM
I am sorry to hear of your unfortunate experience with ASAQ and AO. Did the product come in an original sealed package ?

Would it be imposing on you to check, the next time you are near an AO store, on the price of 1/4 tola of King Fahad ?

No, the AO Oud did not come in an original sealed package, but that is because it was taken from a never larger bottle at the back of the store.

I live in Riyadh so it will not be a problem to go and check the price of a 1/4 tola Oud bottle of King Fahad. I will let you know as soon as I can. As for the sandalwood, I have to agree with Massitka as I have read many similar reports regarding the state of the industry in India. in fact are many trustworthy people who go as far as saying that 99% of companies in India adulterate their sandalwood.

ibn
03-15-2012, 03:40 PM
I live in Riyadh so it will not be a problem to go and check the price of a 1/4 tola Oud bottle of King Fahad. I will let you know as soon as I can.

jazakallahu khayran !

floraopia
03-15-2012, 09:00 PM
jazakallahu khayran !

Well I've returned from a trip outside. I managed to check the local Arabian Oud store, but was told that they were out of stock and they did not know the price of the Oud. It's one of the larger stores in Riyadh, so I was slightly surprised that they did not have any available. I then went to the local mall and walked into another Arabian Oud store, but the assistant was absolutely clueless. He had never heard of Oud Fahad and insisted that this was the location of the Arabian Oud store - on King Fahd Street! So I went online and on my iPhone and showed him the Oud and got a shrug of his shoulders. I do know of other Arabian Oud stores in Riyadh and will make a point to enquire about this Oud when I visit.

ibn
03-15-2012, 09:22 PM
Thanks for your efforts floraopia. King Fahad blend is an oud/rose/musk mukhallat (mix).

floraopia
03-15-2012, 11:32 PM
Thanks for your efforts floraopia. King Fahad blend is an oud/rose/musk mukhallat (mix).

Yes, I realised it was a mukhallat and mentioned this to the assistant when I brought it up on the iPhone to show him. I remember seeing this in Oxford Street, London with Ensar in 2008 - whether it was the King Fahad or something else, I'm not sure, but it was priced at around £8000 and was a mukhallat with Oud, Rose, Patchouli and other essential oils.

AbuAyoob
03-16-2012, 09:35 PM
Agarscentsbazaar White Ambergris/Rose Stick I recieved with my order! Very beautiful scent and the ambergris is noticable and more dominant than the rose! I love agarscentsbazaar's incense sticks, truly amzing scents permeating from the packs.....

Thanks brother Omar

ibn
03-16-2012, 11:42 PM
Thanks brother Omar

Their musk kasthuri incense is very good too !

ibn
03-17-2012, 10:35 AM
Yes, I realised it was a mukhallat and mentioned this to the assistant when I brought it up on the iPhone to show him. I remember seeing this in Oxford Street, London with Ensar in 2008 - whether it was the King Fahad or something else, I'm not sure, but it was priced at around £8000 and was a mukhallat with Oud, Rose, Patchouli and other essential oils.

The London AO store says the 'regular price' of 1/4 tola of King Fahad is UKP 650. I assume its negotiable, but ... Zahras has it in their AO catalog for USD 375. Too bad Zahras has such an uncertain reputation.

floraopia
03-17-2012, 12:49 PM
The London AO store says the 'regular price' of 1/4 tola of King Fahad is UKP 650. I assume its negotiable, but ... Zahras has it in their AO catalog for USD 375. Too bad Zahras has such an uncertain reputation.

What I saw must have been something else then... or maybe not as that price was for several tolas. It was a huge bottle.

ibn
03-17-2012, 01:14 PM
@floraopia: What did the bottle look like ? Please let me know if you see some genuine King Fahad blend at a good price in the KSA !

I am experimenting with makko and ash today. I have a small Japanese tea cup filled with rice ash. I've made a small spatula like incense tool from a piece of arundo donax (the reed from which the ney is made). I've made a depression in the ash about half the size of a woman's thimble, filled it with a bit of makko, lit it and covered it over with ash, leaving a small hole for the smoke to exit. I placed a small piece of hojari and a small chip of hindi oud on top.

I'm impressed with this technique. It seems easier to regulate the heat than using charcoal and the hojari has less of a tendency to carbonize, which I think negatively effects the fragrance.

The technique of incensing with makko and ash is more of a hands on affair which has the benefit of cleaner scents and keeps the nose close to the burner.

AbuAyoob
03-17-2012, 05:01 PM
Ibn

That's pretty cool, I was waiting for someone to experiment and give an update regarding makko powder. That has given me the courage to try it Insha Allah. I'm going to order my supplies today Insha Allah. That combo that you used is my favorite (frankincense and Oud chips), there is something otherworldly about it when you use the best of both.

I'm burning the other half of that ambergris rose sticks. And later I plan to burn Kashmiri kashturi stick Insha Allah. Also I got inspired by floracopiea and decided to go to the dollar store and buy glass jars for my different frankincense and a wooden box for my Oud chips (smaller boxes to separate the woods by origin).

ibn
03-17-2012, 06:25 PM
Inshallah you won't be disappointed AbuAyoob. I need to work on getting some better chips. Its too bad those Oudline king super chips are so expensive ...

The agarscents kashmeri kasthuri stick is best at night when the soft kasthuri breath can envelop your mind and carry it away with the spiral of fumes from the stick :)

ibn
03-18-2012, 10:52 PM
And later I plan to burn Kashmiri kashturi stick Insha Allah.

AbuAyoob, has the Kashmiri Kasthuri stick taken away your speech or can you tell us your impressions ?

ibn
03-18-2012, 10:55 PM
That combo that you used is my favorite (frankincense and Oud chips), there is something otherworldly about it when you use the best of both.

AbuAyoob, you are wise beyond your years. It is a nice combo. Hojari gives average quality oud chips a spicy penetrating top note like you get from the best chips.

AbuAyoob
03-18-2012, 10:57 PM
Ibn, the Kashmiri sticks are absolutely wonderful and they have a real musk scent to them. It is very strong and I have been using the same stick all day by letting it burn for five minutes and putting it out there after. The scent is genuine to my nose, sweet with a slight animalic note in there that I like which is very similar to his kasmiri musk oil. They both go hand in hand and I can't get enough of them both!

Ibn I have wise people around me :-)

AbuAyoob
03-18-2012, 11:02 PM
Ibn where can I get a kilo of hojari for a good price.

masstika
03-18-2012, 11:51 PM
Tonight burning some of the Koh Kong chips. Dry and spicy. Not much bubbling but the scent is warm and gentle. First tried on the electric burner which yielded sweet vanilic scent, extremely gentle. Then came the charcoal and the ash, more intense, dry and fierce like the other rough cousin that we all have :)

fumigateur
03-19-2012, 12:38 AM

The best frankincense I have ever purchased is the black frankincense from Enfleurage in New York. They take orders by phone. Don't remember the price but when compared to agarwood its like buying chewing gum.

ibn
03-19-2012, 11:37 AM
@AbuAyoob:
Ibn, the Kashmiri sticks are absolutely wonderful and they have a real musk scent to them. It is very strong and I have been using the same stick all day by letting it burn for five minutes and putting it out there after.

One stick of Agarscentbazaar's kashmiri kasthuri incense lasted me for two nights.

I purchased a supply of fresh silver Omani superior hojari from a seller in Oman on ebay 5 years ago but he is no longer in the business. He was a sailor in the Oman navy. He also sent me a supply of aged hojari to try out. It has a spicier scent than fresh hojari and is more golden in color.

I am almost out and need to find a fresh supply. Seller 'madeuk' on ebay is selling 2 pounds of Omani superior (http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Pounds-Oman-Omani-Superior-Hojary-Frankincense-Resin-/380420999205?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5892dbc825) for US$ 100 right now. I have tried it in the past and it is good quality.

AbuAyoob
03-19-2012, 03:24 PM
Ibn, my good brother, I'm still on the same stick as yesterday and am only 1/3 of the way through it. I lit it for about 5 min when I woke up today! I hope to score soon as well on the frankincense tip. Right now I'm left with about 4oz of ethiopian resin, which I don't like much. 3oz of Adeni resins which I love, but don't want to use up and a supply of Eritrean resins that is burned often an offers a change up from the traditional citrusy notes offered elsewhere. So I need to diversify my collection and the same goes for Oud chips as well.

ibn
03-19-2012, 04:34 PM
@Abu: (ISA) it will happen.

fumigateur
03-20-2012, 02:33 AM
I just received this pea hen feather from a fellow burner. It is great for fanning the charcoal before burning and quite a beautiful addition to the incense altar in my home.

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii302/davido22/hen.jpg

floraopia
03-20-2012, 06:10 AM
@floraopia: What did the bottle look like ? Please let me know if you see some genuine King Fahad blend at a good price in the KSA !

It was in some sort of liquid container like the ones you see in top class hotels where you can serve yourself a drink. I think it definitely was the King Fahad mukhkallat as I just found this article online about the King Fahad, in the Oxford Street Arabian Oud store that the writer saw in 2008 - same year that I saw it. http://www.agarwoodnews.com/2011/06/king-fahad-blend-and-its-real-value.html

ibn
03-20-2012, 10:34 AM
Nice setup fumigateur !

Thanks for the link to the article floraopia - I read that a while ago and generally agree with the sentiments expressed. Just how good could King Fahad smell to justify this price ? Better than Amouage Tribute or Homage at US$350/12ml ? Can anyone with first hand experience of King Fahad comment ?

AbuAyoob
03-20-2012, 05:37 PM
Burning baked Earth in Musk sticks right now, loving the combo agarscentsbazaar put together in this one and the next stick in a few day will be saffron musk Insha Allah.

floraopia
03-20-2012, 06:23 PM
Nice setup floraopia ! Thanks for the link to the article - I read that a while ago and generally agree with the sentiments expressed. Just how good could King Fahad smell to justify this price ? Better than Amouage Tribute or Homage at US$350/12ml ? Can anyone with first hand experience of King Fahad comment ?

When you mentioned these perfumes, I first reaction was... 'what on earth is he praising synthetic rubbish for?'. I absolutely hate synthetic scents and cannot wear them. So I looked and am actually impressed with the Amouage Tribute if it really only contains natural ingredients of the highest quality.

fumigateur
03-20-2012, 07:57 PM
I have had the honor of owning Tribute and splitting a quarter tola of Fahed with a friend. They are both exemplary blends which I love dearly but I have no real way of knowing if either is all natural as I lack a mass spectrometer in my home. The Tribute is a testimony to the amazing marriage of rose and frankincense. It never ceases to amaze me that so much scent can be packed into that beautiful little bottle. It is very linear, just the best possible products that are in deepest harmony. To me it smells the same six hours after application. Very sweet, intoxicating and sensuous. Fahed on the other hand not linear, it is more of a journey through the interaction of various elements over time. It starts out with a blast of spicy oud that is soon mellowed by the rose note. I would not say they are perfectly harmonious, i would say they feed off and complement each other amazingly. After an hour the musk really comes to the front and the scent becomes more mysterious as I get wafts of all three notes separately and a mysterious veil of accordance simultaneously. That said, if one brings price into the equation the Fahed is not exponentially more luxurious or radiant than the Tribute.

ibn
03-20-2012, 11:56 PM
I too have the privilege of possessing a small supply of Tribute. Alas, I haven't tried King Fahad yet but I am working on this problem !

Tribute seemingly not only has the highest quality ingredients but is composed with an amazing balance of notes. Depending on the temperature, activity and humidity it provides a journey where at one moment the ward taifi raises its head and peeks out, at the next the spicy frankincense proclaims its dominance, and then some other ingredients I haven't identified but which have a leathery accord arise, and then they all merge into a harmony which becomes greater than the sum of its parts, only to wander off again on their separate journeys.

I am also working on the somewhat more manageable problem of acquiring a small supply of Homage, which has the nicest brightest most cheerful and graceful ward taifi note I have ever smelled. So many nice scents, so little time !

masstika
03-21-2012, 08:49 PM
@Fumigateur: I love the hen feather. Does it disturb the ash when you fan the charcoal? Tonight: I am trying the newly arrived Sandalwood from The Karantaka Factory in Mysore. Has to be the cutest Package I ever got. 166 The outer box was all tiddly wrapped in stitched white linen with my Name and address in HUGE BOLD letter :) The sticks are black in color, the smell is most natural soft and sweet as in vinegar sweet, ever the slightest acidity. I wonder if there is any vertiver mixed in there. 167This is not like the Buttery smell of the Mysore shaving but the stick burns for a good 35-40 minutes and fills 2 adjacent rooms with very subtle and soft smell. When one smells this and then smells other vendors sandalwood sticks that you can't take for more than 10 minutes at a time you realize quickly that your body is telling you something.

fumigateur
03-22-2012, 03:10 AM
^Masstika: No the feather does not move the ash on the charcoal and does not move the ash in the bowl. I used to get impatient and blow on the charcoal to speed up the briquette lighting but this is much easier, I don't have to get my eyes rigt in the charcoal and it adds a sense of elegance to the whole thing.

Thomas S.
03-23-2012, 11:21 PM
Lately I have burned only two things: green frankincense from Oman (sells around $25 for 10 grams) and of course, Chanthaburi chips from Ensar. I use the bamboo charcoal from Shoyeido, on white ash. I use a only really small piece of the frankincense to purify the air and have this nice citrus-y smell. Then I add some Chanthaburi oud, in most cases small chips or shavings. This combination creates a wonderful luxurious scent atmosphere in my while apartment. It really "sets the stage", as it were, for meditation and equally well also for Bodhran drumming sessions.

YouNight
03-24-2012, 01:47 PM
...It really "sets the stage", as it were, for meditation and equally well also for Bodhran drumming sessions.

Neat!
I, too, play drums/percussion, and I like to wear oud when performing live, or at a recording session. Different ouds for different moods, of course, but I like that it gets me into a certain head-space.

AbuAyoob
03-24-2012, 04:02 PM
Different ouds for different moods

I like that:cool:

Thomas S, it doesn't get any better than that combo.

I have this Vietnamese chip left over from the Asian triangle sample pack the agarscentsbazaar used to offer, I did a comparison between that and khao yai chips and the scent is identical with that soft perfume like sweetness. As soon as I figure this thing out I will post pictures of the chip from Vietnam. I refuse to burn my last vienamese chip from agarscents because it is amazing.

Thomas S.
03-26-2012, 09:47 AM
[QUOTE=AbuAyoob;1182]I like that:cool:

Thomas S, it doesn't get any better than that combo.

Well, AbuAyoob, I wouldn“t say so...

I have created my own incense sticks, for my own meditation practice, from a combination of Oud and Sandalwood. The sandal enhances the sweet, floral notes of the oud that it turned into something wonderful. It was as if the (somewhat less-than-perfect) oud had somehow transformed into something better. The scent was sweet, ethereal and the afterburn scent lasted quite long. I was using white sandal from a supplier here in Germany and agarwood chips from Baieido.

For my next "experiment" in incense stick making I will use some other agarwood and I“m currently thinking of creating some incense sticks from other ingredients, too. Actually I consider combining white sandal, frankincense and oud. Of course making sticks from frankincense resin is something where the amount of resin used is crucial to the burning properties of the sticks.

All my sticks are handmade, therefore they will not look like the stuff one can buy from professional incense makers; but the general method is more or less the same: grund the ingredients, mature them, using makko powder as binder (no bamboo core here!, also no essential or chemical "aroma" oils); and then from that mixture I make the sticks. The difference is, I manufacture/ hand-roll the sticks, so they will be considerably thicker in diameter than the industrially made sticks. I don“t own an incense stick press... yet ;-)

If you are interested I can make some and send you a sample. Just drop me a line.

Blessings,
Thomas S.

masstika
03-26-2012, 10:59 AM
Thomas, what makes the ingredients bind together? do you add any liquid to them? and what do you mean by "mature them". I know maturing in Mukhalates making but did not know you also mature powders or grinds? I was also told that spiknard and Camphor goes very well with Oud in Incense sticks.

Thomas S.
03-26-2012, 08:29 PM
Hi masstika,

yes, camphor and spikenard are widely used in Japanese incense sticks. Along with Oud, they help to bring out the sharp or earthy notes, accentuating the Oud so the smell of the bruning stick takes on characteristics of Kyara.

What I usually use for my incense mixtures: Orange peel, Lemon peel; Myrrh; Cinnamon; White Sandal; Frankincense; Storax; Curcuma; Cloves; (to name but a few).
One could also use all kind of floral leaves, e.g. dried Rose leaves. Or different woods. Or....or...

Basically, if you want to make your own sticks, you will first get the ingredients (among those: Makko powder, made from the bark deriving of the Macchilus thunbergii tree which grows in Southasia – Southasia, again!).
Check out this website (about Makko powder at lower half of the page):
http://www.oller.net/incense-making.htm

Makko is used in incense making and is sold e.g from Baieido (or more or less all good incense websites, such as Essence of the Ages. A pound / 17.86 oz. is somewhere around 50 US-$ -- and that amount will keep you busy for quite a long time. You might want to order a smaller size first.
Makko can also be used for trail burning.
To burn a trail, make in indention in your mabkhara, into the residual ash. Fill this indention with makko powder and slightly compress. Then light the makko using a short incense stick which you place gently into the makko trail and then light. Wait a minute while the makko starts smoldering and glows like a coal. Then sprinkle some incense or oud chips over the glowing Makko trail.

If you make your incense, you should carefully weigh all ingredients so you can note down what you used in a recipe.
Grind the ingredients using either mortar and pestle, or an electric coffee- grinder, or some kitchen machine.
Then mix the ground woods and spices with makko powder (somewhere from 1:1; up to 3:1 or 4:1 (i.e. Incense : Makko, in weight).

To mature them you can place the mixture in the fridge, or cover with a wet cloth, or just leave it sitting in the mixture jar (with a lid on it). 24 hours is usually enough for the fragances to mix well. Some do not need maturing, in fact it“s better to make them into sticks right away to prevent certain aromatics from evaporating.

From there you can start making your own sticks, by adding water to make a kind of dough and then forming it into sticks or cones.

Blessings,
Thomas S.

masstika
03-27-2012, 04:56 PM
Thanks Thomas for the great information. I am almost tempted to start crushing some oud chips and some sandalwood. You mention above about weights; would you be kind enough to share some weights for some of the ingredients you have mentioned because I am not sure how much to crush or how much materials makes how many sticks?
A few pages back we were talking about the status of Mysore Sandalwood from India and all the so called genuine Mysore oil being sold out there. Trygve have just visited the Karantaka factory in Mysore and have painted a riveting picture of the status of Sandalwood today. The article is full of valuable information for those who are curious about Mysore Sandalwood. http://enfleuragenyc.blogspot.com/2012/03/some-straight-talk-on-sandalwood.html?showComment=1332863163837#c8698477 511735588718

floraopia
03-27-2012, 06:28 PM
Thanks Thomas for the great information. I am almost tempted to start crushing some oud chips and some sandalwood. You mention above about weights; would you be kind enough to share some weights for some of the ingredients you have mentioned because I am not sure how much to crush or how much materials makes how many sticks?
A few pages back we were talking about the status of Mysore Sandalwood from India and all the so called genuine Mysore oil being sold out there. Trygve have just visited the Karantaka factory in Mysore and have painted a riveting picture of the status of Sandalwood today. The article is full of valuable information for those who are curious about Mysore Sandalwood. http://enfleuragenyc.blogspot.com/2012/03/some-straight-talk-on-sandalwood.html?showComment=1332863163837#c8698477 511735588718

I have read the 'Holy Grail' article and it is depressing reading. The replies to the blog and Trygve's replies are illuminating.

Thanks for the heads up on this article - it just confirms my previous suspicions even though I wish I was wrong :(

Orgoglio ItalianO
03-28-2012, 04:18 PM

These 2 vendors have,Great Great quality Frankincense both Royal grade(my favorite) and Superior are the best i've tried so far from anyone. I ran out awhile back,need to re-up

http://www.frankincensetree.com/#!shop-uk

http://www.fineincense.com/prices/prices.html

Let me know how it works out my brother

UPDATE: wasn't Royal grade i tried but Superior and another type,both were good...

AbuAyoob
03-28-2012, 04:44 PM
Good looking out my good brotha!

Edward T
03-29-2012, 12:35 AM
Scented mountain and Koh Kong wild chips thanks to Masstika. If these scented mountain chips are cultivated I smell hope in the future. The smoke from the scented mountain chips is green tea floral and honey mellow sweet and leaves that awesome smokey sweet taste on the back of my throat. Its like I have a rich, sweet flower stuck on the back of my throat behind my tonsils. Words won't do the Koh Kong justice and it's so beautiful I almost don't want to burn any. The Koh-Kong are rich, sweet and chocolaty. These are some incredible chips.

I saw a documentary the other day how organized crime groups go into Cambodia (Phnom-Pen?-I believe although the spelling may be off) into wildlife sancuaries of old growth forests to collect roots from the sassafrass tree to distill the safrole out of the essential oil to make MDMA (the drug exctasy). The damage of felling these trees has affected the whole ecosystem around the fallen tree as a result of the area losing the canopy and shade that the tree provided. I wonder the damage caused by agarwood hunting and the indiscriminate felling of these trees is in any way similar to the destruction caused by the groups that hunt the sassafrass trees?

fumigateur
03-29-2012, 05:47 AM
Which Scented Mountain sticks were you using...I have tried the Monk's Wand and they were a sweet delight but have not explored their other offerings.

masstika
03-29-2012, 10:01 AM
@fumigateur: they were a piece of the Monk's Wand.

Orgoglio ItalianO
03-29-2012, 07:50 PM
Good looking out my good brotha!
Give this a whirl also:
Its great stuff difficult to find outside Japan a hidden gem.

http://www.japanincense.com/ym-0051.html

masstika
03-31-2012, 10:18 PM
I was intrigued when I saw the Aquilaria Malacensis Candle by Carriere Freres Industrie. 168 It is made by Cire Trudon, of vegetable wax and with no synthetic fragrances I was told and when I saw the 45 to 50 hours burn I was totally sold. Imagine how wonderful and economical that would be. Unfortunately and sadly to report after lighting and using the candle for 3 hours continuously in a room sized 12 feet by 15 feet with windows and doors closed, I still could not discern any smell save for a very light and soft Amber smell. There is not a trace of what anyone of us would consider Oud smell. I have let it burn until all the surface has been liquefied and kept going but it made little difference. I have not given up on it yet and I'll report back if any amazing transformation happens.
Another new products I am burning tonight is the Superior Chin-Zhou Aleoswood 8" incense sticks made form what is claimed to be "sinking grade" Indonesian Aleoswood. It is made in Taiwan by Bosen Incense store 169. Very comparable to the Scented Mountains sticks albeit less pungent and more refined. It is by means sinking grade but it has a good amount of Aleoswood, 90% according to the packing and the 10% is a binder. The stick burns smoothly for about 40 minutes leaving the room with a nice soft Oud smell. slightly sweet but more on the dry side than wet or damp. It will be nice to burn it along some sandalwood sticks. It has the same prize range as the Scented Mountain at $24 a pack which has about 50 sticks.

masstika
04-03-2012, 06:17 PM
For quite sometime now I have been looking for a bakhoor that would bring me back to those nice memories I had in the houses of my friends back in Saudi and the Gulf area but I always get disappointed. Almost every bakhoor that I have bought from one of the big name houses (Ajmal and ASAQ to name couple) has always had this synthetic smells that either made the yes watery or made you head for the windows and doors to escape. Each of my friends were very secretive and protective as to where they got their "special" mix ;-). Well. I think my search is over. Thanks to Simon (a.k.a Abu Bakr) of Aluwwah has concocted a new mix that IMHO hits the spot bulls eye. The mix is called Bakhoor Majlis which as the name implies in Arabic is the scent to be used in "Gathering". The entire envelop that it came in smelled so good even though the incense was tiddly wrapped and sealed inside but it was as if it can not be contained. The mix has pieces of Oud wood and Uunsi which I recognize. I won't bore you here with the usual quotation of notes and scents but enough to say that there is rose, saffron and a bit of frankincense but this is not what it is about. This is a scent where the Sum is much much greater than the parts. It truly manages to capture those great moments when you are with your friends talking and laughing and the Incense tray comes rolling in with the smoke bellowing from Incense burner. There is no off putting notes here and no watery eyes either. I have only tried it so far on the electrical heater but tonight it will meet the Charcoal :) Lastly and I never thought I would say this about anything publicly but I think it is priced too cheap!!! I swear I would easily triple or quadruple the prize and it still be a good buy. (Super highly recommended :)

fumigateur
04-03-2012, 09:25 PM
Lastly and I never thought I would say this about anything publicly but I think it is priced too cheap!!! I swear I would easily triple or quadruple the prize and it still be a good buy. (Super highly recommended :)

I just ordered mine in case he takes your advice to heart! Thank you for the resource. There are frequently good things on his website.

d.dog
04-03-2012, 09:49 PM
Have you or anyone else tried or use their smokeless incense? (Japan Incense)
Thanks

Orgoglio ItalianO
04-04-2012, 03:42 PM
Have you or anyone else tried or use their smokeless incense? (Japan Incense)
Thanks

these are quite nice:
http://www.japanincense.com/ky-0021.html
http://www.japanincense.com/ym-0007.html
http://www.japanincense.com/ym-0008.html
http://www.japanincense.com/ym-0009.html
http://www.japanincense.com/ym-0023.html

Some more potent than others. all are really nice,honestly i would try them all pretty quality stuff. Will make your office,room etc smell nice!

I would really check out a lot of Yamdamatsu's offerings sticks,kneaded etc. I think Yamadamatsu is my favorite Incense house. look at my Yamadamatsu sample link above i highly highly recommend that to everyone. Theres a good range of scents all are fantastic. i'll list here again :-)

http://www.japanincense.com/ym-0051.html

masstika
04-04-2012, 04:37 PM
Orgoglio, have you tried any of the Kneaded Incense you listed above? can you give a brief description of the scent profile or any impression you might had from it. The web site does not offer any information and "smell nice" is not really informative. :) Thanks.

Orgoglio ItalianO
04-04-2012, 06:32 PM
Orgoglio, have you tried any of the Kneaded Incense you listed above? can you give a brief description of the scent profile or any impression you might had from it. The web site does not offer any information and "smell nice" is not really informative. :) Thanks.

Sorry,my apologies for the half a$% review,recommendations etc.

Yes i have these now :-)
-GENMYO-
Nice Aloeswood,Kyara with sweet Vanilic,Caramely spicy tone

-Umegaka-
Spicy almost cinnamon like with a lot of Sandalwood, i believe i smell. Kind of a sweet depth to it. Dark

The others i have sampled a while ago a friend sent me a ball of each and need to test again to give a more accurate review. But i remember definitely liking them all very much there was Not one i didn't like. I really enjoyed them

masstika
04-04-2012, 07:27 PM
Thanks Orgoglio and sorry, didn't mean to put you on the spot. It just I have been curious about those kneaded incense and I couldn't figure out if those were to burn or to just put in the drawers or in the closet between the clothes. Did you burn them on Charcoal or electric burner? The Genmyo sounds nice although I don't know what they mean by "natural aromatic Kyara" for I doubt that it is real Kyara in the mix at that prize. I'll check with Kotaro at Japan Incense.

d.dog
04-05-2012, 01:46 AM
Thank you Orgoglio, I live in a strict apartment complex, never tried smokeless.

fumigateur
04-05-2012, 02:48 AM
Thank you Orgoglio, I live in a strict apartment complex, never tried smokeless.

Smokeless incense still has smoke just significantly less of it. I believe that most smokeless incense has high level of charcoal so less resin burn. I have tried "smokeless" incense but it still does produce some smoke along with the scent. Shoyeido makes a fairly comprehensive line of these products.

masstika
04-05-2012, 02:11 PM
Has anyone ever ordered anything from tenkundo in Japan? and if so how was their experience with the products and delivery? http://www.tenkundo.co.jp/online-shop/007/ The cost of the Kyara shown is quite reasonable.

Orgoglio ItalianO
04-06-2012, 02:37 AM
Thanks Orgoglio and sorry, didn't mean to put you on the spot. It just I have been curious about those kneaded incense and I couldn't figure out if those were to burn or to just put in the drawers or in the closet between the clothes. Did you burn them on Charcoal or electric burner? The Genmyo sounds nice although I don't know what they mean by "natural aromatic Kyara" for I doubt that it is real Kyara in the mix at that prize. I'll check with Kotaro at Japan Incense.

No problem brother,
I use the supreme electric burner Essence of the ages carries. On a pretty low setting about 10-15
I have only used charcoal on sandalwood and Oud chips.
I think you would dig the kneaded incenses.

Orgoglio ItalianO
04-06-2012, 02:40 AM

I have tried this,owned it. Very nice would be great to scent small to medium room fairly well. It was my first less smoke Incense Stick. Not a bad buy at all :•] nice sweet vanillic Benzoin a nice little treat on a relaxing evening. Can't go wrong for the price ;-)
http://www.japanincense.com/kh-0022.html

masstika
04-06-2012, 11:50 AM
Today, starting Black Mughsayl (Frankincense) directly from the source (around salala, Oman and further west towards Yemen), presumably comes from male trees with a beautiful orang-y like sweet scent. 172 and then a bit of top notch Howjary with many green pieces. This ones comes from further inland toward the mountains and has an ethereal lemony/camphory scent. Very uplifting and calming all at once. Those two are like the Peasant and the nobleman. But even the peasant might be crude and rough around the edges but he's sweet and comforting and the nobleman, righteous and just. 173

fumigateur
04-07-2012, 05:59 AM
Here's a cool blog I came across including pix regarding the black frankincense. I burn it too but it is so powerful that I can only use a little piece at one burning. Really potent stuff!
http://anyasgarden.blogspot.com/2012/03/frankincense-friday-old-lady-mughsayl.html

masstika
04-07-2012, 07:14 PM
I love this stuff. I inhale through it like a tornado :) I just got mine 2 days ago :) and that's the blog that led me to them. The black Mughsayl in the picture above comes from the same source (Trygve Harris whom I knew about beforehand).

fumigateur
04-08-2012, 07:35 AM
Yep, I get my frankincense from Enfleurage too. Trygve lives in Oman most of the time now, while the store has moved to a mellower location in NYC.

masstika
04-09-2012, 04:49 PM
a friend of mine passed me this 3 types of Incense sticks with names like Olan Bator, Aoyama and Opera but not much other information. They looked like Japanese Incense sticks and they smelled very much like them; meaning a lot of woody smells (Aloeswood), Sandalwood with a bit of spices. However there was a pronounced difference that made them somehow more western, more floral and even a bit of top end perfumes. I assumed they are in homage to cities even though I don't think they are meant to replicate the smell of those destinations. So I was completely surprised to find out that those sticks were made by a french Company called Astier de villatte. A company that is more known for their beautiful black terracotta handmade dishwares. after a bit of research I found that Astier de Villatte was launched in 1996 by Benoit Astier de Villatte and Ivan Pericoli, who met at the Les Beaux Arts Paris. The initial ideas involved collecting and refurbishing old items found on the street, and the early production revolved mainly around furniture and tableware. In 2000, the team opened a two-story boutique in the heart of Paris. For this Incense and scented candles line their Desiner and perfumer Francoise Caron, worked with a team of perfumers at Takasago. http://www.takasago.com/en/museum/east/j01.html which explains the Japanese tendencies.
Take a look at their cool web site and if interested shop around the web for I have seen their incense prizes fluctuate from $25 to $45 for a box that has 125 sticks (each has a 30 min burn time). enjoy :)
http://www.astierdevillatte.com/catalogue/catalogue.php?type=166

masstika
04-11-2012, 05:44 PM
Someone was asking if there was a vendor selling portable car Incense burner a while back. I came across one on this link http://www.gaharu.com.my/shop/index.php?route=product/product&path=44&product_id=76

But it doesn't seem that you can use it while the car is on the move ;)

AbuAyoob
04-14-2012, 06:01 PM
All last night as well as today, Black Frankincense from Mughsayl. Very nice tangerine like scent! Also burned a bit of aged 6 month howjary can't say enough to describe how clean the resin burns all the way through leaving no rancid burnt notes at the end!

Edward T
04-19-2012, 01:04 AM
That Laos wood from Alan is incredible. Buring some of that with shawarma cooking in the oven. I think I'm in heaven.

fumigateur
04-19-2012, 05:58 AM
Burning sweet Cambodian crassna i procured from Edward T. So happy to have sweet wood that has some staying power. Was burning Malaysian that would linger in the air for just a few minutes...very frustrating. I am currently making a home diffuser scent for a client with notes of citrus, vetiver, rosemary, lavender, etc. Just wondering, has anyone ever tried an agarwood home diffuser? I might give that a whirl.

masstika
04-19-2012, 12:18 PM
@Fumigateur: How does the Home diffuser work? with tea candles?

fumigateur
04-20-2012, 02:27 AM
I'm talking about a reed diffuser.

fumigateur
04-21-2012, 03:40 AM
I am just getting my feet wet in this reed stuff, even though it has been around way too long with so much synthetic garbage on the market. Here is a good place to get quality reeds and diffuser. The most important thing besides the EOs is to make sure and use an organic base...not DPG! My friend recommended this resource but it seems different EOs work differently with different reeds and bases. http://www.candlescience.com/reed-diffusers/

Thomas S.
05-06-2012, 05:10 PM
Yes, the powder is definitely makko. Or at least this is what I think -- I do not know of any powder one could use as heat supply to make oud and sandal burn like this.
Compare to: http://incensemaking.com/burning-trails.htm. Depicted is a method to use makko for burning powdered or granulated incense.

Orgoglio ItalianO
05-06-2012, 05:21 PM

The thing about the agarscents cones i notice with the Indian Ocean Ambergris cones is that after the burn in my man cave it smells of harsh smoke...Not the sweet Indian Ocean Ambergris smell while burning,that i wish hung around instead of the harsh burnt charcoal smell :-( Are the NEW!! HINDI OUDH DOUBLE SUPER INCENSE CONES the same? or do they smell of sweet oud after the burn less the nasty damp house fire smell? have you or anyone tried the NEW!! HINDI OUDH DOUBLE SUPER INCENSE CONES?

AbuAyoob
05-06-2012, 11:03 PM
I know what you mean about the after smell of the cones, it's the same with the Mysore cones, good while burning and burnt after. I had the pleasure of smelling the rose ambergris white sticks and the ambergris is the dominant note. Also the scent lingers for an entire day sometimes two days. I like their cambodi gold sticks nice Oud scent that lingers well after the burn. What i like about agarscentsbazaar sticks is you don't have to burn them for the room to be engulfed with the scent of them!

Orgoglio ItalianO
05-07-2012, 11:53 PM
I know what you mean about the after smell of the cones, it's the same with the Mysore cones, good while burning and burnt after. I had the pleasure of smelling the rose ambergris white sticks and the ambergris is the dominant note. Also the scent lingers for an entire day sometimes two days. I like their cambodi gold sticks nice Oud scent that lingers well after the burn. What i like about agarscentsbazaar sticks is you don't have to burn them for the room to be engulfed with the scent of them!
Assalamu Alaikum Abu Ayoob
Do their sticks smell just like burning chips? Is it a good alternative?
I hope their HINDI OUDH DOUBLE SUPER INCENSE are good. It will be awhile before I try them anyway kinda broke lol
And to all,if anyone tries them or Oudimentary's Oud Louban Jawi blend please give all of us a review let us know how they are please

AbuAyoob
05-08-2012, 06:44 AM
Walaikum Salaam big bro,

The cambodi gold sticks do smell of real Oud to my nose before and after the burn. Haven't tried the DS Hindi yet.

YouNight
05-08-2012, 12:46 PM
More important (to me) than the accompanying incense that I'm burning, is the fact that I'm happy about the very-nice original copy of this LP that I just received.
Perfect sounds and vibes to go along with some nice incense, though:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFDiXszQeVY

...I'm burning a stick of Meena Supreme, by the way. Perfect. =)

masstika
05-08-2012, 11:33 PM
Thanks YouNight for sharing. Great Album and just like the meena, you got the sittar providing the background and then you got the jazz melodies layering on top. Good choice. For me tonight is Tokusen Karin select by Kunjudo. There is a good write up about it on the ORS site. I find it to be a bit too floral sometimes and much less woody than the description attributes to it though but it's beautifully refined and ridiculously prized.

fumigateur
05-08-2012, 11:43 PM
Great music and great scents. My old neighbor Mr. Ali played drums on this album. He also had his own jazz club for some years in New York. I would see him hanging out on his stoop talking to some guy and I would walk by and it would hit me...holy moley that was Joe Henderson or some other icon from my youth. Nice choice.

YouNight
05-08-2012, 11:57 PM
Cheers, masstika.
That you dig that record and Meena... I guess I'm indirectly patting myself on the back by saying that you have good taste! :)

The sitar tone is actually a tambura, which is very similar to a sitar, but it lacks frets and is played opened-stringed (not unlike Alice's harp).
You're spot-on, though; it provides the perfect background tone/vibe for the things going-on in the foreground (not unlike some incense).

I'll have to look into Tokusen Karin. Thanks for the tip.

fumigateur; Wow! Rashied Ali was your neighbor?! Oh, man...
How extremely cool it must've been to see some of the legends (like Joe Henderson) come around.

I didn't really expect the clip to resonate with anybody when I posted it.
Thanks, guys.

AbuAyoob
05-12-2012, 01:46 PM
Burning black frankincense from Oman, like it so much I recently ordered and received 4 more kilograms of this stuff. May the burn be with you!

floraopia
05-12-2012, 04:35 PM
4 kg... and I thought I was crazy!!!

Orgoglio ItalianO
05-12-2012, 07:02 PM
Burning black frankincense from Oman, like it so much I recently ordered and received 4 more kilograms of this stuff. May the burn be with you!

Assalamu Alaikum Akhi :•]

I thought there were only a few kinds of Frankincense it seems there's more lol
Is the difference grades? Or just different scent profiles ? With grading among the different types black etc. So grading is the same for all frankincenses? But there's different types in scent profile?

For instance Houjari graded Superior and Royal grade.

Black frankincense Superior or Royal grade

Difference is scent correct

AbuAyoob
05-12-2012, 09:44 PM
Walaikum Salaam akhi Italiano

There are many different grades of frankincense that are dictated by geographical regions etc. But for the sake of Oman, there are a few grades beginning with the highest (and opinions vary):

Hojari fusoos

Royal hojari green

Hojari

Naem

Najdi (black)-(in my opinion the best)

I would put the black Najdi at the top because these resin have a very unique scent profile ( camphor, orange, sometimes lemon drop, woody at times) and they are very clean when burning, unlike some hojari the have a horrible smell when burning like sapp from a maple tree.

In Eritrea they have different grades with different terminology than the Omanis, same with Somalia and yemen! I will elaborate more on the Eritrean and Somalian later! See this link for information on Omani frankincense (note the black resin that I have from Mughsayl Oman look entirely different from those on this site! http://www.sacredfrankincense.com/frankincense-grades.php

AbuAyoob
05-12-2012, 10:10 PM
Also there are different grades of hojari and the same goes for everything that follows. There is a nice documentary by BBC on YouTube called the frankincense trail. She follows the old trade routes from Dhofar Oman through Yemen Saudi and the Sahel (sudan and Egypt) dip laying cultural significance etc. Any how if you want to know what the black resin from Mughsayl smells try enfleurage's frankincense oil! Identical.

Orgoglio ItalianO
05-26-2012, 03:49 PM
Walaikum Salaam akhi Italiano

There are many different grades of frankincense that are dictated by geographical regions etc. But for the sake of Oman, there are a few grades beginning with the highest (and opinions vary):

Hojari fusoos

Royal hojari green

Hojari

Naem

Najdi (black)-(in my opinion the best)

I would put the black Najdi at the top because these resin have a very unique scent profile ( camphor, orange, sometimes lemon drop, woody at times) and they are very clean when burning, unlike some hojari the have a horrible smell when burning like sapp from a maple tree.

In Eritrea they have different grades with different terminology than the Omanis, same with Somalia and yemen! I will elaborate more on the Eritrean and Somalian later! See this link for information on Omani frankincense (note the black resin that I have from Mughsayl Oman look entirely different from those on this site! http://www.sacredfrankincense.com/frankincense-grades.php

So black is a type not a grade correct? :-)

AbuAyoob
05-26-2012, 04:42 PM
You are correct my brother, black is a type. One of my favorites thus far. A while back I bought the sampler from scents of earth and was happy with the Somali mayidi and the Indian resins. That would be a good a hood way to introduce yourself to different resins.

masstika
05-30-2012, 06:59 PM
today, it's Wild Harvested Burmese Agarwood sink grade chip on the charcoal. Beautiful scent emanating from the small chip with dry Hay and bitter spicy like smell. The part I enjoy is the contemplative mood it puts me in. Neither Bakhoor or Frankincense has that effect. The piece in the picture is a large piece that is not for burning.http://s1135.photobucket.com/albums/m622/masstika1/Burmese%20Sink%20grade/

Orgoglio ItalianO
05-31-2012, 03:09 AM
today, it's Wild Harvested Burmese Agarwood sink grade chip on the charcoal. Beautiful scent emanating from the small chip with dry Hay and bitter spicy like smell. The part I enjoy is the contemplative mood it puts me in. Neither Bakhoor or Frankincense has that effect. The piece in the picture is a large piece that is not for burning.http://s1
135.photobucket.com/albums/m622/masstika1/Burmese%20Sink%20grade/ (http://s1135.photobucket.com/albums/m622/masstika1/Burmese%20Sink%20grade/)

Very NICE!!!! Mmmm mmmm

floraopia
05-31-2012, 07:14 AM
Wow Masstika! First of all Masha Allah ;) Now, where did you get this beauty from and how much!

floraopia
05-31-2012, 07:17 AM
I have to say, if I had such a piece, I would be scared to burn it!!!!

fumigateur
05-31-2012, 08:30 PM
I am burning bakhoor daad from Simon today. It has a very unique smell that reminds me of times I have spent with friends in Persian households and shopping at Persian markets (I use the term Persian only because the folks I know in the States prefer that term). It is a very unique scent and I can only think of the sour cherries and pickled sour lemons and fragrant steamed rice when I burn it. I am also thinking of extracting the scent using hexane but I am a little leery because this scent comes from a poisonous gum thistle which causes sickness when ingested. I think it will be okay on the skin but I need to find a plant botanist or some such to advise me. I am starting to extract scents from bakhoors using hexane distillation but need to find very mild bakhoors to work with. I know bakhoor and mild are kind of an oxymoron but if anyone knows of such a bakhoor which does not have perfume overkill I would welcome your suggestions.